Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

microwave not stopped working

Customer Question

microwave not stopped working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
please read this carefully before attempting any microwave repair.

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

/!\ WARNING

ELECTROCUTION HAZARD
HIGH VOLTAGE

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the micro is fairly new everything works lights, turntable and timer are you still recommending a professional
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the problem is these are dangerous to be poking around inside , one wrong move and you can be seriously hurt or killed. is this an over the stove microwave or counter top?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of the micros features work lights, fan timer turntable etc. it does not heat items, is there a fuse or reset its a GE less than a year old
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the magnetron is bad. If this is less then a year old then I would call a repairman because it is under warranty. The part cost about 150 dollars.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry about the over post, some people dont learn , the tech that came in and said it was the magnitron isnt suppose to get involved with other peoples questions, sorry, anyway it could be the magnitron and like he said if its under 1 year old call G.E. and they will set up and appointment to send someone out to look at this. and by the way the part isnt that much this guy is wrong. the magnitrons can run anywhere from $79.00 to $125.00 and this may not even be the problem.this is on the high voltage side and thats where the danger is on these. please ignor the other tech, and if I've helped please press accept under my reply. thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your responce the unit is less than 1 yr. i will call GE for repair.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you to stay safe and you shouldnt have to pay for it anyway, well wishes Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.