Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag MSD2957DE side-by-side with ice & water in door. New

Maytag MSD2957DE side-by-side with ice & water in door. New filter just installed. Had water and ice for about 2 days. Has not made any ice at all now for 2 weeks and water dispenser works intermittently. I go and turn on the valve to the water supply and we have water for the day but the next morning the water in not working again, so I go and close and reopen the valve and will have water for about a day again. Ice maker not making ice at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
do me a favor and pull the white cover off the ice maker it just snaps on and look at the gear in the middle there should be two tabs in the middle holding gear on see if one is broken or missing. let ma know thanks Bryan. heres a picture. Ice Maker Module - Click Image to Close
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately I am not at home right now, but will be shortly. I will check that gear and let you know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok this is the most common reason for ice maker failer. the other thing to check is the tube that puts the water into icemaker. make sure its not frozen. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The gear looks fine nothing looks broken. When I took the cover off the gear started to spin very slowly. The on/off arm of the icemaker had been in the off position at that time. I put the cover back on closed the door. When I opened the door again, the arm was in the down or on position. I took the cover off to see if the gear was still spinning but it was not. It looks like it did one full revolution.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok but it didny put water in? stick your finger in where the water goes and see if theres water. did you check the big tube the water goes down into ice maker inside refrigerator at the back? it wasnt frozen was it. ? do you have a volt meter/
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, sorry it took so long to get back to you but had to wait till I was home from work. The gear did rotate, but no, there is no water in the ice maker at all. It feels like the tube could be frozen but no visible ice on it. I do not have a volt meter. Just so you know, last week when we stopped getting water after having it for a day, I turned the freezer temp setting down to almost 1 for two days to see if maybe it was freezing, it didn't help, still no ice and no more water until I closed the valve and reopened it again. Also last week the fridge temp was set on 4 and everything (soda,water,eggs,and stew) all froze solid. Right now the temps are set on fridge 1.5, freezer 3. Even if that tube is frozen and that is the problem with the ice, how come the water stops working after awhile until i close and reopen the valve to the water line? If that tube is frozen how do I unfreeze it. (having temp on 1 for over two days didn't make a difference.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , I think you ahve a bad water inlet valve. these are dual valves one side for the ice maker and one for the water in the door. this is a site where you can get the valve. and this is the valve Part 914955 cahnge this and you should be all set. it located behind refrigierator where the water line from the house connects to refrigerator. thanks Bryan