Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello, I have GE Monogram ZIS 42D built in refrigerator that

Customer Question

Hello, I have GE Monogram ZIS 42D built in refrigerator that has a temperature control issue. I have replaced the Main board (WR55X10384), 4 thermistors (WR55X10025) and the HMI Temperature control board (WR55X10159) and it is still not working properly. It either freezes everything in both the freezer and the fresh food side or it doesn't keep the temperature cool enough to keep the freezer or the fresh food side cold enough. The digital readout inside the fresh food side gives temperature readings all over the place that are nowhere near the actual temperature in either side of the refrigerator. What suggestions can you give me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
when did you replace these items? let me know thanks Bryan, p.s. I have to go out for a bit but will be back around 5pm eastern
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All of these items were relaced within the past month. I had a local technician come initially and he thought the problem was the Main board and the thermistors, so I oredered the parts and he came back and installed them. This did not fix the problem so then I ordered the HMI control board and installed it myslef and that did not fix the problem. All of the items were installed within the past month. Also when the technican came the second time he did do a test by using the Diagnostic Mode by pressing both the freezer temperatre pads (plus and minus) and the refrigerator temperatuer pads (plus and minus) simulaneously for 3 seconds All the checks were OK but the problem was still there. So then I ordered the HMI control board and installed it myself yesterday and the refrigeerator is still doing what it has been doing. I then tried to to the test by using the Diagnostic mode today and I could not get the Blinking 0's in both displays that indicates the refrigerator has entered the test mode. So I put he old HMI board back in the and tried the Diagnostic Mode again but once again I could not get the Blinking 0's that indicates the refrigeratuer went into the Test mode. ugh! I sent the HMI control board back to GE today as I felt this board was not the problem because it did not fix the problem.

So I am hoping you can help me..thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
wow thats strange. can you check the model #? I cant find it, is this a uk unit? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe it is a ZISB420DMA
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok let me look some things up on this. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK thanks. I do want to give you a little more history and I went back and looked at dates more thoroughly of when things were installed. In February of '08 was when the refrigerator first froze everything in the fresh food side and the water GMF filter burst and flooded the whole Fresh food side. This of course trashed the electronic drawer in the bottom of the fresh food side that can either "Express Chill" or Express Thaw" things. So I replaced that part and the refrigerator worked fine up until about Thanksigiving of '08 and then it strarted acting up intermittently. We had a number if personal issues going on with a death in the family over the Holiday' s so I waitied until the end of Janualry of 09 to address the problem and this is when the technican intalled the main board and thermistors. Then more personal issues came up and I finally got the HMI control board and installed it only to find that it did not fix the problem either. We simply turn the refrigerator on & off manually by using the electronic controls when we see it is too cold or not cold enough. I am not sure if this information helps but I thought you would want to know. Thanks again!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this link has all the parts to your refrigerator. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=ZISB420DMA&a mp;productCategoryId=0165000&brandId=0432&modelName=REFRIGERATOR&diagramPageId=00002&componentDescription=SEALED%20SYSTEM%20&%20MOTHER%20BOARD&documentId=G0401130&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list this takes you to the mother board. now G.E. has re disigned the mother board again and use a new #which is wr55x10656 I'm wondering if this has something to do with your problem. they still have the old # XXXXX sears. did your j1 conector 9 pin have a jumper wire on pin 2 on the conector? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No there was no jumper wire. Interesteing that that GE has made yet another change on the mother board...ugh. I am not sure if this will fix the problem but it might. What do you think I should do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I hate to see you spend more money but this might work. really you have replaced most everything in this that would cause this problem. is your ice shut door closing tightly? and are your doors closing tightly? these can cause the refrigerator to run longer that it should . the only other thing that could be causing this is the damper assembly. did you change that? this is it. Part 879153this opens and closes to send air to your fresh food section the board and the sensors control this but it may be sticking. check that. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told by the technician that installed the main board and thermistors that he did check the damper door and it and the other doors are working properly so I guess I will need to invest in yet another board to see if it works. Thanks a bunch Bryan!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem , thank you. and dont close the question in case you need to come back and ask me more questions, you wont be charged again that way, well wishes. Bryan