william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

my microwave stopped cooking, everything else works it sounds

my microwave stopped cooking, everything else works it sounds like i is cycling the Klystron tube on and off but it doesn't heat anything i am about to go buy a replacement it is only 2 years old and was the best frigidaire i could find when i remodeled my kitchen. any ideas i would appreciate.

put a glass of water in there set it for 2 minutes tell me if the water is hot thanks

may i have your model number please? thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there is no heating happening within the microwave. i performed the same experiement you suggest many times with many slight changes to see if some configuration/setting error had occured. to wit....i disconnect power for 2 minutes and tried it, i reset the power level to 9, to 8, to 5, i attempted a thaw cycle, in all cases the water remains cold.

the microwave sounds as if it is cycling the klystron on and off and the exhaust fan runs.

make&model number? please thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

fridgidaire model number i am trying to refind as i found the manual at one point. i am searching my systems for it now.

it is the one with the scrolling text display, bisque color over range with exhaust hood. 169 comes to mind

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
glmv169 i think, the number is XXXXX the label mounted agianst the wall so that's my best guess sorry
who makes this? thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

fridgidaire ...it says electrolux on the tech data sheets

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Springfield/5995511390.pdf

this is what you need its called a magnetron yours is bad and needs to be replaced by a proffesional

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-glmv169+-%3d%3di1261091&PartID=1261091 $91.70

Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i disassembled the microwave and tested the switches, all good.

checked the fuses, also all good.

is there way to tet the transformer, hi-volt capacitor (1.0micro farad @ 2100V), power diode and the magnetron...safely?

i accept your solution to replace it..i just want to check it as i bought a new microwave anyway now my curiousity has been tweaked.

thanks

try this

Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave unplugged.

This is a common way to do this....

nuker101.JPG (9118 bytes)