John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a model mrs22wngo side by side refrigerator manufactured

Customer Question

I have a model mrs22wngo side by side refrigerator manufactured 3/98 and the right side thermostat valve is not working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question

What do you mean by the right side thermostat is not working.

Whats the problem with the fridge

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the freezer on the left side works fine and is nice and cold , however the right side of the refrigerator does not seem to be blowing cold air out and will not respond to any setting
It just feels cool. I have vacumed out the condensor and felt nice cold flow running up the back side to the freezer. Does the air flow over on this model? when I turn the temperature settings on the right side or food and drink storage i get no response?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Turn that setting to the lowest number .

It should open a baffle between the freezer and the fridge to let in more cold air.

Set there and leave it for 24 hrs to cycle

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will let you know in 24 hrs if this works i turned the setting to #1 its the lowest setting with #6 being the coldest setting
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The right dial says #6 as coldest setting for the freezer.

It closes a door from the freezer to the fridge

So real cold fridge at # XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the freezer has a dedicated thermostat switch located in the left side and works very nice there was an error in the model # XXXXX correct # XXXXX XXXXX side by side refridgerator and the right side orfood and vegetable storage has one as well, as per your instructions I have set the right side on #1, is that ok?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Yes thats fine

Let me know how it ends up

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I hope so, i will get back to you shortly,
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Talk then
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry my compuiter was down this unit is a night mare I unplug it let it thaw out 24 hrs then plug it back in then everything is fine for a few dats then no cold air to r/s of refridge I take apart ls and condesor below fan is completly frozen over what am I missing to keep the r/s cold now i have to break the seal onthe freezer side by slidind a plastic fork in place
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Your freezer unit keeps frosting up Right.

Whats with the fork was the door froozen shut

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry about the mispelling whats happening is either 3 things can be wrong I was told , one the defrost thermostat on the freezer condensor is bad and just allowing the freezer to keep running and not shutting down the condensor at proper temperature creating a vacum which won't allow the fan to blow the air to the right side of the unit because the coil is heavily frozen over I will get back with you for the other 2 items meanwhile I have donated most all the food to a halfway house and now I was forced to buy another fridge Saturday. However I would like to fix this one Any Ideas Appliance Dr?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=121886

Hi

You could start by replacing the defrost thermostat .Here it is here

Its a cheap part to replace

Too bad you had to buy a new one