Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Our Maytag range is continually beeping and showing F-1 on

Our Maytag range is continually beeping and showing F-1 on the screen. We have left the power off over night, only to have it resume beeping shortly after plugging it back in. It does not do it all the time, just intermittently. It is loud enough to wake us up in the middle of the night. What can we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.

Have you recently activated the self clean mode..?

Your f-1 code designates a failed oven sensor...That is why i was asking if you did a self clean....You would need to test the sensor....I would change the sensor first...If that does not fix it then alot of times the ERC itself is bad..(computer)...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I tried the self-clean, but only after the beeping had been going on for some time. I thought it might cure the problem, but it did not. This happened about a year ago, and continued for some time, then just stopped for some reason. It is now happening again. If we need to replace a failed oven sensor, it that something that someone without specific appliance repair knowledge can do themselves? What is the ERC? If that is the computer itself, why does the stove continue to work properly?

It is a fairly straight forward repair...The oven sensor is the metal probe that is usally mounted to the inside back of stove...It is held on by two small screws....If you are refering to the oven its self working and not the surface burners...Then i would replace the sensor first....The ERC is the computer (clock)....The surface burners will work but the oven will not sometimes if the ERC is bad..

Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair