Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

My dryer is not drying my clothes. The heat keeps on kicking

My dryer is not drying my clothes. The heat keeps on kicking off after the dryer is going for a little while. What would be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

The problem could be that the dryer is overheating.

1. Go outside of the house when the the dryer is running and check that you feel a good flow of air outside at the vent.

2. Check that you have 220 volts at the dryer outlet (with a volt meter) IF YOU HAVE AN ELECTRIC DRYER.

3. Please post the model number of the dryer so that we can be more specific.

Bernie
Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
f Model No. 110.72852101 If you are thinking that the vent is clogged, its not, checked that out already. It has good flow air for just a little while.
HiCustomer

If you are 100% sure that you have checked the air flow completely thru the vent to the inside of the machine we will move to the next steps.

The problem can either be that the igniter is starting to go, the safety valves or the thermostat.

You can see the burne parts here -

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=110 72852101&productCategoryId=0151200&brandId=0582&modelName=GAS-DRYER&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=BURNER%20ASSEMBLY&documentId=P0101079&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list

Is this something that you wish to make a DIY project?

bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could it be clogged inside the machine?
HiCustomer

Yes, it can sometimes be clogged inside. You will often see signs of this when you look inside where the vent attachs to the dryer.

The easiest check is outside at the vent. It also tells you if you have some kind of kink in the hose.

Good air flow outside means that's NOT the problem.

bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The air was flowing okay. So what would be the next step to take?

HiCustomer

To clarify-

I read above from your question that the motor DOES still turn and blow air (it's just cold air).

You will need multimeter. The next step would be to check for continuity on the above igniter, coils and themostats.

However, first turn the lights out and turn the dryer on. Check.....how long the flame stays on when you start the machine?

Do you still see the igniter GLOW when the flame turn off?

Do you hear a "clacking" sound after the flame goes off?

Also, I don't know Sears numbers as well as others. So, approximately how old is this machine?

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The machine is approximately 7 years old. I will have to get back to you on the flame situation. I am at work and I can't check that right now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will accept everything so far. Thank you.

HiCustomer

I will check back later tonight to see how you are doing. Be sure you have a multi-meter so that we can check components before finishing diagnostics.

Keep this link directly to this question to continue. You don't need to ask another question.

bernie