Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our side by side Amana fridge /freezer model SRDE522VE produces

Customer Question

Our side by side Amana fridge /freezer model SRDE522VE produces a temp. warning buzzer without there being any visible sign that the temp is low or that the door has been left open. We mute the noise ! The service man who visited said there is no problem, but clearly there is as the fridge"goes off" often in the middle of the night. This is driving us mad as we are now suffering from sleep deprivation.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
check the door on the ice shute, if this isnt closing tightly everytime it lets in warm air that can set off the alarm. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have checked the door to the ice chute and it appears to be closing OK, but very slowly.

Incidently it was very "black" almost as if a layer has disintigrated.This was on the outside surface, ie not in contact with the ice itself.Your answer appears very logical, and may be THE answer. The real proof will be revealed IF the alarm does not go off in the middle of the night.

As this is the first time I've used this service I would like your advice as to the next step should the alarm still go off in the night.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well if it goes off again I would get back in touch with me through this site and we can go through some other things that may cause this. you can press accept now and leave the question open and come back at no additional charge and we can work on this further . have you moved this refrigerator lately? sometimes the door switch doesnt hit correctly and the light will stay on causing warming also. let me know.I have to go to work but will be back later. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is 12:02am Australian time and the wretched alarm has gone off again. The ice chute

door was closed and the ice cube container was full.

The XXXXX XXXXXght at the top of the column of green lightts was ON and blinking. The LOW temp alarm light was ON. HELP !!!

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , I believe i know now whats going on in this. I've acually had to repair one of these before. this has a 230 volt compressor in it and what happens is the control board is a high voltage converter system . your board is bad. this is located under the refrigerator in between the coils in a black box I believe on yours. a real hard thing to find. take the front kick plate off the bottom and use a flash light to look under between the coils and you should see it. it will have a cable running to it.I cant find a picture of it yet but I'll keep trying. the part # XXXXX XXXXX it list for around $128.00 on this site. I'm not sure if they ship to Australia you would have to contact them and see. hope this helps, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your additional help. I will approach the problem with your advice.

I will keep you informed.

Ken Downunder Jones

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks, Bryan