Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi - I have a kenmore elite model 90982992 and the washer stopped

Hi - I have a kenmore elite model 90982992 and the washer stopped working. The spinner will not spin though the water drained out when I played around with the buttons, the spin cycle will not rotate and the sound is sort of like a motor with a screeching type slight noise as we listen to the spin cycle. The water is running properly and seemed to drain properly otherwise.   My husband wants to buy a new expensive washer but I want to know if it is a "quick" fix or possible to repair this issue on our own before investing for a new washer & dryer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you check the model # XXXXX should be a 3 number prefix like 110. or 106. something like that. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
111 is the type number
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there something else you need to help answer or understand the issue with the washer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello I'm confused do I have to accept in order to get you to continue to figure out the washer problem?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no not yet, I'm having trouble finding your model , is this a top load? thanks Bryan.
  • With lid open, mounted to cabinet near tub opening
  • On left or right side of washer near the bottom of the cabinet
  • On the back of the washer near the top
  • On the front kickplate at the lower front of the washer
  • Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Hi Bryan -- let me try again -- I went back to washer to look up the info:

It's a top loading machine. About 8 years old. Kenmore Elite tag on front.

When you open lid the model info is under the lid centered towards the back;

Mod: 20982 then the numbers 992 in smaller font
    Ck:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Type: 111

Does that help. It has the standard spin/wash cycle knob on the far right and hidden screws so that you have to remove decorative side panels to get to the screws.

Again - the water flows in and out and drains (or so it seems properly) but the "noise" occurs when you put on spin cycle (which is when water drains) and it sounds like a bit of a screech or windy sound vs. normal smooth motor running sound. Haven't tried to see if there is lint build up or other blockages in the drainage tube but could do that too.

Kaushika -1-XXX-XXX-XXXX
    Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
    ok still cant bring up model but I think know what it is , I think its your motor coupling . this is the coupling. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=if you tip the machine up and look between the motor and transmission and this is where its located. heres a video to help you repair this. click here. this should fix the problem. thanks Bryan