Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an Admiral fridge/freezer model noGC2224GEKB

I have an Admiral fridge/freezer model noGC2224GEKB last night it just stopped 'freezing' everything seems to be working, lights, running, but it is not going 'cold' I have checked the coil at the bottom at the front, it is not dusty, Can you tell me what is wrong please. Both fridge and freezer are not warm.
can you tell me if you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? do you hear any click or buzzing in the back of the refrigerator by the compressor. let me know I'll be back on later, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Bryan

No frost, not aware of any click or buzzing, just sounds like fridge/freezer is running normally, but neither section is keeping cold.

Thanks

Hi

When the compressor is running,,,the coils on the outside are they warm?

Also is the fan outside running? And the fan inside is running?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Coils are not warm, fan inside is running, where is the fan outside is it under the cover at the back not hearing a fan outside.

Ok that fan outside needs to be running. Yes it is located on the outside in the back at the bottom behind the cover. The outside coils should be at least a little warm,,,not warm at all is very bad. Check those again....not hot is ok.

While your back there touch the compressor to be sure thats running.

I ll be back around noon est. I have to head out and do a couple of jobs but I will be back.

thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Fan is not running, compressor is not going, coils are not warm.

Ok thats not so bad...unplug the unit. Remove the cover that covers the wiring on the compressor.

Pull the relay and overload off and look at the wiring. If the wiring is ok shake those 2 pieces and see if they will rattle. Look for tiny pieces while your shaking in to fall out in

your hand. Let me know.

Do you have a meter?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Help, what does the overload/relay look like, I'm female, quite good at maintenance, but stumped this time Undecided Thanks

They look different on different models,,,,but can be identified as the Piece (can be one piece) or 2 pieces that the wiring goes to attached to the compressor. They actually mount on the side of the compressor. Get you a flat screwdriver and carefully pry these pieces a little at a time as they do fit tight. The compressor is the black almost ball shaped thing behind the cover in the back at the bottom behind the cover.

One thing more you should check while you are there

is the compressor warm or hot. Just be sure it that the cord is disconnected from the wall. You do nt want shocked. And if these pieces are good than

electricity could be present.

You can do it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX another silver thing, that looked like the relay you used to get in cars!!!! Got the two pieces apart no rattling. Compressor cold.
if the compressor is cold its not running . do you have a volt meter? i cant find a picture of you compressor relay assembly but I can give you the part # XXXXX this is most likely the cause of your problem. its either that or if your getting power to it your compressor is bad. I would reoplace the relay and if that doesnt work you have a bad compressor. you need to make sure though that your getting power to the relay first though, thus you need a meter for that. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Bryan

Thanks for all your help and patience, will get it checked to see if power is going to relay. I know where to go if I need any more help. This is a great site.

Thanks again.

Janet

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Have just clicked 'accept' so you should get paid for all your help, well worth every penny, thanks again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

I got relay and capasitor checked with a volt meter and both getting power and puting power out. Fan kicks in for just a couple of seconds then shuts off, could it be thermostat?

well i get the feeling its the relay even though its getting power in and out i dont believe its getting the compressor started. the fan runs when the relay tries to start compressor and then when the relay clicks off the fan stops. change the relay assembly and that should take care of it . at least its the cheapest part to try first but I'll almost bet it will work. if changing this doesnt work and start the compressor you may have a bad compressor. good luck and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks
no problem , thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Bryan