Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have GE side-by-side refrigerator - model GSH25KGRE, s/n

I have GE side-by-side refrigerator - model GSH25KGRE, s/n DH256xxx. The water and ice dispensers work intermittently and slowing getting worse. When either work, they both do, when either don’t, they both don’t. The ice maker is still making ice, no problems.
can you tell me if you hear a clicking noise in the back of refrigerator when you try to get ice or water? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No clicking noise from the back when I try to get ice or water. However, this morning when I walked out into the kitchen I heard a clicking noise (like every 2-3 secs) coming from the right rear of the fridge. I tried the water dispenser, no water, but the clicking stopped.

ok you need to replace the main control board. this is located in the back of refrigerator if you pull it away from the wall you will a plate with 3 screws in it remove the screws and you will see the board. thae best price i've found on this is here. http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8 this will fix your problem. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

Good call! Installed the replacement board. We're back in business with the exception of the water dispenser - does nothing. Ice dispenser works great everytime and the ice maker refilled the tray over night so somehow it's getting water. Thoughts?

I'll still leave positive feedback as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Thanks!

Keith

this may have something to do with either the fill valve or the filter . my guess would be the valve though. I have to work until this afternoon but will help you test it later. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

Just accepted your reply. Thanks! When you get a chance and if possible please provide a couple things I can check out. I should be around tomorrow afternoon to try them. We can pick up on Monday if take the weekend off.

Take care.

Keith

sure I will be around tomorrow afternoon but it may be around 5pm or so . do you have a volt meter? let me know, and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

Sorry, been crazy here. Yes, I have a volt meter. Let me know what tests I can run.

Thanks!

Keith

well the way to test and see if you getting power to the water side of the valve is to remove the plug from the valve that runs the water. there are two plugs one for ice and one for water, follow the tube that goes to the ice maker down to the valve ande you will see which side that connects to, unplug the other one and set your meter to volts and put probes in the plug. press for water and you should get 120 volts if you do replace the valve.