Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my ice maker will not push the ice out of the tray

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

can you get us model # ?thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ice maker is making ice but the arm that extracts the ice from the tray is not spinning to push the ice out of the tray and into the compartment in the door. This has happened in the past when we lost power. I had a tech come out and he said the cog on the inside was stripped. He replaced it for about $300. I cannot afford it this time. We have not lost power as of late.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok if you can get me the model I'll check this for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

model # XXXXX XXXXX I was able to take the ice maker apart but was not able to get the cog marked "do not turn manually" out. I have also noticed the status light next tot the on/off switch is not always blinking...

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok so the ice isnt comming out of the ice maker itself right? in the middle of the ice maker itself there is a gear with two tabs holdin the gear on in the middle .is one of those white tabs loose or broken off? you can see the gear in this picture. Ice Maker Module - Click Image to Closemost of the time you can repalace the module in these and its allot cheaper than an entire ice maker assembly. let me know about the fingers. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both tabs are still in place.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok and the gear is not loose right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if the gear is loose and you can wiggle it you need to replace the module. if its not you need to the ice maker itself. I will find you the best price on these parts and get back to you shortly, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the ice maker runs around $157.00 at sears and $147.00 at repair clinic but i found it at . http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=16 for $121.00 , if you need just the module you can get it for $57.45 at http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=49 these are great prices. you can order them online . hope this helps. Thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not loose. If I replace the maker do I need to resent anything?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no you just install it and wait for it to get cold enough and it will start making ice again. it should make ice within about 3 hours. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since it's still making ice do yo think I just need the module?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
If the heater is coming on yes a module will be fine, If you decide to reach your hand in and touch the heater DONT! it gets almost as hot as a stove burner and will burn you extremly fast. The kit is the most sure way. I would tend to think its not coming on in which case you will need the kit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The heater hasn't come on that I know of. Does that need to happen before the arm will rotate and push the ice out? Is there a way to test the heater? I took the maker out and didn't feel any heat...
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Unplug the unit and remove the icemaker off the wall of the freezer usually 3 screws.

Unless its mounted sideways in which case it will be one screw and a tab.

Stick a pen or flat screwdriver into the side and depress the tab that holds the wires into the icemaker and pull that out.

Pull the white cover off the icemaker sometimes these are tight but it just pops off...no screws.

Remove the three screws out of the module pictured above. And test for ohms across the 2 posts that are attached to the heater on the bottom of the icemaker. Should read near zero or no reading at all. No reading at all is bad.

Again be careful,,test touch that thing to make sure your not going to get burned before you get hold of it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Your fast I added a couple of things in the post above,,,,I forgot it probably mounted sideways.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's mounted horizontally. I will need to test the heater when I get home. The ice maker is only $88. It might be worth it to just replace the whole thing now. I cannot tell if it comes with the module. I would assume it does.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Yes I agree, a new unit would be the way to go if you could afford it.

That is a complete icemaker. You pull your old one out and put the new one in. No use of old parts except the white cover.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for all your help Bryan!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

You are welcome....I have to head out to work. If you have questions go ahead and post

I will check here when I get back in.