Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Freezer temp fine but freshfood side warm

Customer Question

3 year old GE Monogram side by side Model # XXXXX
-Fan on freezer side appears to be working fine.
-Damper to fresh food side opens and closes however; when the fan comes on, becuase i leave the freezer door open, the damper closes on the freshfood side. I would think it should open becuase the fresh food side is not at proper temp.
-My assumption is either the temp sensors (two on fresh food side), damper malfuntioning or logic board.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is a g.e. therefor the damper closes when you open the door. its controled by the door switch. this is so nyour not sending warm air through to your fresh food section when the freezer door is open.the fan usually shuts when you open the fresh food door also. what is it you need to know? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

freshfood side is warmer than normal, fluxuates between 43 - 48.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
do you see any frost on the back panel inside freezer section?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, No visible frost that I can see. The freezer now, even at -4 on the digital temp display, the icecream is soft. That was not happening before. Freshfood side fluxuates 38 and above but nothing is in that side and we don't open the door much. . Thanks for your Help
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I have the feeling its your control board causing this. we have to change allot of these for that same reason. this is the board. Main Control Board you can get this here, they have the best price and service around. they also give you a no questions asked 1 year warranty and ship right away. this is located in the back of the refrigerator if you pull it away from wall you will see a cover with 1/4' screws take that cover off and you will see it. G.E. had to re disign these boards because they were having allot of problems with them. before you order it remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the coils for excessive frost on the evaporator ciols. if theres allot of frost its the defrost heater. they had to re disign these also and make them a dual heater. heres the new heater, Defrost Heating Element - Click Image to Close
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks much for the info and I will follow your instructions prior to ordering the control bd. Just one last thing, the GE monogram is a 48" built in with sealed unit / components on top and it is not easy to pull out to get to the back. Does that change how I go about troubleshooting?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well not really accept you will need to get to the mother board to change it and i believe but am not sure where its located I think its in the top front on yours. the diagram below.