Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I HAVE A MYTAG STOVE# XXXXX WHEN WE USE THE OVEN THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A MYTAG STOVE# XXXXX WHEN WE USE THE OVEN THE TEMPERATURE IS ALL OVER THE PLACE, IT DOES NOT MANTAIN THE TEMPERATURE.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Choo46,

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Please give us a bit more information so that we can answer this best.

Have you put a thermometer inside the oven to check the temperature?

or...

Are you referring to the range's settings that are giving you these temperature readngs?

Has any work been on this range?

Do you have some tools, basic DIY experience, and time to trouble shoot this problem?

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>WE HAD PUT A THERMOMETER IN THE STOVE.</p><p>THIS STOVE WAS WORKED ON ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. THE GLOW PLUG/PILOT ON THE OVEN WAS REPLACED. YES I HAVE TOOLS AND PRETTY HANDY. I AM A SELF EMPLOYED REMODELER.</p>
Hi Choo46,

I need to get back to you with some more specific information. Please allow me a couple of more minutes.

bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK
HI Choo46,

The most common cause of this type of problem would be the oven sensor (or themostat). The other possibility would be the control board (which is a lot more expensive to replace).

This is an excellent link for testing and explaining how to check the sensor.

Click on this - testing

I was hoping that I had the service manual specific for you model. However, I do not have it. The information above will give you what you need.

Please let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification.

bernie

bernie

Hi Choo46,

This will provide you more detail on the your specific model -

The sensor is part number 5.

It looks like this -

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=2003225&SourceCode=4

bernie
Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
BERNIE,

I REMOVED THE SENSOR AND THE READING WAS AROUND 1000 OHMS WHICH APPEARS TO BE NORMAL. I ALSO CHECKED IT BY HEATING IT GENTLY WITH A LIGHTER AND THE RESISTANCE DID GO UP. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE SENSOR IS FINE. I ALSO DO NOT GET AN ERROR CODE. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?
HI Choo46,

The ERC may be faulty. However, it usually does give you more problems than just fluctuations in temperature and you have pointed out that you have not seen an error code.

Do you have this same problem with the Broiler when you are using it?

Some ranges use both burners to maintain the correct heat. Is it possible that the oven burner (bottom) is not lighting or shutting down?

This would mean that only the broiler burner (top) is trying to maintain the heat and can not do that consistently.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ONLY THE BOTTOM BURNER LIGHTS WITH THE OVEN. BUT WHEN YOU BROIL THE TOP BURNER LIGHTS. THE BROILER DOES'NT SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM BROILING.
Hi Choo46,

You'd be looking for a problem with the burner not holding the flame while the oven is on. This might point to the igniter (or glow plug) or safety valve starting to go bad. From your information above, that doesn't seem to be it.

If both burners seem to engage correctly (without intermittent shutting off), you would look at the wiring harnesses and connections for the ERC to the thermostat. It would point to the electronics telling the burners to turn on or off when they should not.

If you can not correct the problem with cleaning all connections and verifying that they are all good (check continuity on wiring), then the last resort would be replacement of the ERC. However, this is expensive. So, you really want to be sure that the ERC is the problem before you do that.

bernie