Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore Super Capacity 3.5 Quiet Tumble Action Wash front load

Kenmore Super Capacity 3.5 Quiet Tumble Action Wash front load clothes washer suddenly stopped spinning. I empty the dripping load of wash and tried to run it empty but now all it will do is make an electric humming sound. I was able to restart the empty washer from the start of the cycle but the spin cycle failed again. Any ideas? The washer is about 4 to 6 yrs old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
is the water draining out of t he tub or is there still water in the bottom?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
water still in bottom
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
ok so, that's going to be your problem. The washer will not spin unless the water is completely out of the tub. That being said, your drain catch sounds clogged since it's giving you a humming noise. To access the drain catch you need to pull the lower front panel off. There are 3 screws at the very bottom of the lower front panel. Remove the screws and take the panel off. There is a hand twist drain catch in the middle near the front. Unscrew this catch and WATCH OUT!!! Water and whatever else that is caught in the catch will come out. Clear the catch and the unit should be good to go.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. Unplug first?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
yes deffinately. Be sure to drain as much water out of the tub as you can and have lots of towels ready to catch the water when you unscrew the drain catch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't see the 3 screws?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
it is at the very bottom of the bottom front panel, you may have to tip the washer backwards to see the screws easier.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
By the catch, do you mean the flexible corrugated 2-3 diameter tube that has clamps on top on bottom? Should I take both clamps off or just one?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
no, don't take any clamps off. There is a hand twist knob (plastic) that you unscrew. It's about 3 inches in diameter or so. and faces foward.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't see that hand twist knob. Removal on one clamp drained some water and reveal about $5 in change. I will look again but is it possible that the knob you describe is not on our model? I'd dearly love not to hassle with the clamps.