John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My Whirlpool gas dryer is not getting hot enough to dry clothes

Customer Question

My Whirlpool gas dryer is not getting hot enough to dry clothes efficiently (gets warm but not hot). The model is GGQ8858HQ0. Should I replace the thermal fuse or one of the thermostats or both?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Is the heat on all the way through the cycle

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I check the temperature of the clothes in the middle of a cycle, they are just warm when I would normally expect them to be hot. It takes 3, 60 minute runs to dry them.

I checked the exhaust line and there is no blockage. Good exhaust all the way to the end of the vent line.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Check to see if after 30 min you still have heat

If at any time the air coming out is not warm

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm at work now and cannot check this until tonight but I believe that the temperature seems to held back for some reason. Like I said earlier, I have checked in the middle of a cycle, and the clothes were mildly warm, but not hot. I will disconnect the vent hose and monitor the relative output temperature and see what happens over the cycle.

Is there a way to check the thermal fuse, part no.(NNN) NNN-NNNNand see if it is bad and needs to be replaced.

How about one of the thermostats, part no's(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Are any of these the likely culprit?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

This is your likely problem

When the dryer is cold these will let the gas in for the first 10 min.

then stop the gas from entering the valve

Replace the coils

It will solve your problem

The Appliance Doc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will take a look at the dryer again tonight and see if the gas is ignited and burns during the first ten minutes and then does not come back on.

Is it possible that the igniter could be bad instead of a coil?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

No The Igniter must light or there woul be no heat at all

It has to be the coils

Replace them both they come as a kit

The Appliance Doc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I ran the dryer with the vent hose disconnected and the dryer was blowing very hot air. I had to shut the dryer off after about 5 minutes, as all my smoke alarms started going off. This was not enough time to monitor the entire run.

In addition, I took a look for the burner assembly. There does not seem to be an easy way to access it. The burner assembly is where the main and pilot coils are located. Do you have any advice on how to get at the burner assembly?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

If you had problems drying clothes with the vent on

And you try with the vent off and it gets hot the Igniter and the coil is ok

I would look at the venting outside

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We ran a load a load of clothes last night with the vent line hooked up and the clothes did not dry all the way. Prior to drying the clothes, I checked the exhaust all the way to the end of the vent line, and the flow was good.

We are experiencing these same symptons, good vent exhaust, initial heat up, no heat or mildly warm clothes in the middle of a dry cycle, damp clothes at the end of a run.

Some of the advice you gave me called for changing the coils. I replied that the coils are part of the burner assembly and it is not readily apparent to me as to how to access the burner assembly. Do you have anything usefull for me or can I expect another lame advice comment?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The #S13 & 14 In this diagram Are the two glow coils on the gas valve. What problems do you have .Let me know And I will try to make my answere a little easier for you

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

This should help you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. Looks like a fair amount of work but it looks like it can be done. I'll try this soon.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Great .Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I put in the new coils on Saturday. The dryer works great now. Thanks for your help with this.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
great glad it worked out