Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a 106.56542400 refrigerator. The ice maker worked fine.

I have a 106.56542400 refrigerator. The ice maker worked fine. one time the ice cube storage bin got full and wouldn't dispense ice. We removed the bin, and cleaned out all of the ice in the bottom. The ice maker never made ice after that. THe water supply is OK, and the hose that supplies the icemaker doesn's seem to be frozen. DO you have any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you have a volt meter? this refrigerator has a dual water valve on side feeds the ice maker the other feeds the water in door. we need to test the valve. also is the ice maker fingers turning? let me know ,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have a volt meter. I don't know if the fingers are turning or not. How do I make them cycle?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to remove the front cover off the ice maker to jump this and start a cycle. is this ice maker sideways in the front of the freezer section or is it mounted to the side wall? let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This icemaker goes across the top of the ceiling of the freezer, so I guess Sideways. The plug where is on the RIght side, and the motor is on the left side.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok this is the though one to get out. you need to remove the 1/4" screw under the right back corner of the ice maker and then remove the plastic cover and then push the lever down and slide the ice maker out. I know what the problem is on this model. you need to change the ice maker module. let me know when you get it out , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have it out, but still plugged in. It's haning down, resting on the shelf.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok can you get the cover off the front? a small screw driver will pry it off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the cover on the end of the unit that covers a plastice sproket. Is that the one to which you are refering?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok check the center of the gear and see if one of the two plastic pieces in the center that holds the gear is broken off. let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both of the pieces are there. One of them feels a little like a loose tooth. It has a little play, but you can't pull it out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats your problem. its just as i thought , this is letting the gear slip and thats why its not making ice. you can change just the module on this ice maker thats the good news. and its allot cheaper. heres a site where you can buy this for $57.00 compared to $157.00 for a new ice maker. click here, http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=9 there are only phillip head screws holding this on but you need to unplug the ice maker and remove the plug from the module before replacing. let me know when you get it and if you need more help you can come back and ask. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I clicked on the link. item shown says "Whirlpool ice maker module" and this is a Kenmore refrigerator. Is that OK.

I also have a question about this site. Do I click on the accept buton to pay you now? If I have a question once I receive this part, am I able to refer back to this inquiry, or do I have to start over again. Do you know how this works?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes the module will fit your ice maker, and yes you can click accept and still come back and i can help you further at no additional charge. just come back when you get the module. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.