Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool washer Mod wtw55215qo that while in the

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool washer Mod:wtw55215qo that while in the spin cycle it supposedly made a clunk and stopped. Now when you try to go to spin all it does is hum. The motor by itself turns freely. The pump turns freely. The problem I believe is in the brake assembly or the transmission. What procedure or way do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
does the motor sound like its running but the tub isnt moving? you may have a bad drive coupling in this. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the motor sitting on the floor. There is no problem with the drive coupling. It is either in the gearcase or the spin tube assembly I think.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you may have a bad clutch or the acuator in the brake assembly broke. if you drop the transmission and check in the clutch assembly shown here. Part 2670the almond colored plastic piece in the right top corner of picture is what releases the brake this may have broken, check that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
did you have a chance to look at clutch assembly? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I could not figure out how to get the agitator off of the tube.Do I have to pull the gearcase and shaft out as one,or can it be fixed in the machine? If I try to turn the transmission where it hooks to the drive coupling by had it will not turn.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you like , call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
they xx out your phone # XXXXX not allowed. click here for agitator components. you need to take the cap off the top then pull part # 1194898 up and off then there will be a bolt out then pull the agitator up to remove. clcik here for agitator parts http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-wtw55215qo-%3d%3dc201 let me know when you get that off , It needs to be removed to get the transmission down.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does that inner cap under the fabric softener holder just pull up to remove so I canget to the hold down bolt? Do you think that I need to remove this to get to the problem?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes the cap pulls right up nad then you can get at the bolt. you do have to remove the agitator to check the clutch. once you have the agitator off go underneath and take the 3 bolts out holding transmission and pull it down to get at the clutch assembly. let me know when you get it. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will get back to you later but it will not be today as I live quite a way from it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I finaly got back to the whirlpool. The customer said she had some clothes that she hand washed,and only put them in the empty machine to spin them out. as it was spinning it went clunk and stopped .All that I could get is a hum. The motor shaft while setting on the floor with no power will turn freely. The transmission while trying to turn it from where the drive coupling goes. will not turn. I took the top off of the gearcase and after taking the big top gear off and moving the bottom gears around I got the coupling shaft to turn freely,but did I get something out of time or out of the proper position to make this happen? I feel something not meshing now when I turn the shaft.Also,nothing in the motor switch would have caused anything ,would it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no you need to replace the transmission. I will see what kind of price I can get for you . I'll get back to you in a little while thanks , Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is you transmission. Part 423 this company wants $145.00 plus special shipping. tomorrow I'll see if I can get a better price for you, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
these guys have it for $132.88 thats not bad plus the give a full year warranty., http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=58 hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The plastic looks ok. Did I mess anything up by removing top of the gearcase and raising the gear assembly up a little until things started to move.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well when you put the transmission back in did it spin? something underneath the trnsmission oil where the gears are is jamming up if its not. you could have a broken piecein the transmission.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So are we settled that the problem is in the transmission? Or should I be looking elsewhere?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes I believe you need to replace the transmission, sorry for the late reply , lost the brakes in my van today just got back. thanks Bryan