Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My calypso is not draining and with 15 minutes left on the

My calypso is not draining and with 15 minutes left on the cycle the motor started making a whinning noise, then the FL came up on the timer display.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

hi. this is Bryan. its sounds like you may need a pump assembly on this. have you ever had the pump replaced on this? also can you get me the model #? thanks. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
Thanks for your fast answer, I am not sure of the model number, but the pump assembly has never been replaced. I have owned this appliance since 2000 we bought it new from sears, I have the owners manual packed in a box because we are planning on moving. Thanks again,
Kent Piper.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok well these machines needed to be upgraded as far as the pumps go because the were all stripping on the motor shaft. causing the whinning noise and no drain that you hear. without a model # XXXXX its going to be dificult to know the pump you need. let me see what I can find out for you. if you lift the lid and look toward the back where the hinges are in the middle you should see a model # XXXXX a tag. see if you can find it. I'll be back shortly, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
oki this is the pump assembly you need to replace. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=it comes with the motor attached. they tried replacing the pump only at one point and found the new ones also stripped , so they went to the complete assembly. you can buy this here , http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b5a11c261i1058894&PartID=1058894 if you like. its $102.00 and you need to remove the bottom plate under machine to get to it. hope this helps. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan
the model number for our Calypso is 110 210 84000 it is a top load model
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan,

Do you think I could do this repair? Because Sears charges $65.00 for the service call, then parts and labor, and I see that they are charging $128.00 for this part. I see that this repair bill is going to be more then I wish to pay.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Bryan is not here, yes this is an easy repair. you can down load a manual for this repair. Click on the blue link below to download the manual....Please "ACCPET" on Bryans answer..

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=015bec15-58a7-42c6-8ef2-f80c42203d46

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thanks Chas. I had to go do some work sorry, I can help walk you through this if you need, let me know, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Bryan & Chas. for the information and your speedy replies! They have been most helpful.
We have a repairman coming to take a look at it this afternoon. Hopefully you guys are spot on with your diagnostics and it won't cost us too much. We're thinking it's going to be at least a $200 repair. I guess that's better than having to buy a replacement though.
Thanks so much for your time!! We're going to leave this open until we get the final bill. We'll come back and update you then and "accept" your replies.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
No problem, Bryan or myself will help you if you need it...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So here's the deal: the repair cost was $375.00. The repairman was surprised that this was the first problem we had encountered with this washer. He said that the Calypso was notorious for having problems.
Given the fact that the washer was 9 years old and the repairman painted a gloomy future for it, we decided to replace it instead of repairing it.
We bought a Whirlpool front-load washer and it was delivered today.
Hopefully it will last a while.
Thanks again for all your help!
Kent & Tina Piper