Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We purchased a Maytag refrig. in 1990, RTD21A, Top Mount, 21

We purchased a Maytag refrig. in 1990, RTD21A, Top Mount, 21 cu. ft...   The problem is that it seems to run more than usual and 'more importantly' a few days ago my husband noticed the very front, top of refrigerator is 'extremely hot to the touch'. We are concerned that it might have a serious problem after nearly 19 years of service and could present a danger at this time. Can you suggest anything we should do? Have you ever heard of this happening to any other refrigerator? Thank you.
pull the refrigerator away from the wall and check the condensor fan that colls the compressor. this is a picture of it. Part 2790check and make sure it hasnt stopped. also go to lowes and get a coil brush and clean the coils underneath the refrigerator this will also help. the fan running is very importent. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My husband will do as you suggest sometime this afternoon. He vacuums the ref. from behind every year. We will check to make sure the fan is running and get right back to you. Thanks for replying immediately! Jean

no problem. thanks and if the fan is stopped try spinning it and see if it starts. sometimes you can get something stuck in these and it will stop the fan. let me know thanks Bryan