Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a side by side refrigerator and it isnt self defrosting

I have a side by side refrigerator and it isn't self defrosting right. This is the second time I've had to defrost with in a little over a week. And I just blew out the dust from the back of the frig. Is there anything else I should do? And what do you think the problem is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

can you get me make and model#? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's a GE model # XXXXX BB. On the inside of the back panel the coils have frosted over twice in a little over a week. Yesterday I manually defrosted with hair dryer and cleaned the dust from the back of the frig where the blower motor is or what ever its called. It's cooling now but it seems like the freezer part is running more than it should, the cooling still kicks on and off and the fan is working in the back of the frig. I'm afraid it's going to be frosted over again soon, and don't know what else I need to do.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok so you have had the back panel inside the freezer section off already? more than likely you have a bad defrost heater in this . G.E has had to re disign the single heater to a double heater in these . do you have a volt meter. ? heres the heater, click here, for link , the part # XXXXX this site is 1399613 let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the defrost heater something the have recalled on this refrigerator
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I've had the back panel on the inside off already. My freind has a volt meter and is going to bring down for me to use
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok check the bottom of the coils you will see the heater, test for continuity and you you dont have any change the heater this will take care of the problem. we do allot of these. its usually the problem . hope this helps, let me know thanks Bryan, no recall on these though.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is continuity? Do I just stick the volt meter on the heater? What should the volt meter read? And also I used the link to look up the part it showed the price, but no picture.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok the heater will be a silver thing with a glass tube in it . its at the very bottom of the coils and has two screws holding it. you need to set the meter on ohms and check to see if it has continuity which is a complete cuircut. if it has continuity the meter needle will go up. if it doesnt move you need to rerplace the heater, for some reason they took all the pictures of the old heater out. I think they are putting in the new picture of the heater and have it off for now. remove the heater before testing. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The volt meter that I have has DCV, ACV, or DCA it is a Digital Multimeter will this work? So If it does I unplug the refrigerator, and take the heater out before testing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes unplug the refrigerator first. if the meter doent have ohms you cant test with it. I would take the heater out and bring it to an eletrical supply or appliance parts store if you have one handy and have them test it. if its black in the tube most likely its bad. this is usually the problem with these refrigerators,let me know thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is the defrost heater.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The defrost heater was black inside. When I order the part does it come with new wire plugin's? If not how do I get them off to plug in to the new heater when it arrives?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
these have a plug on each side of the heater and just pull out. its easier to take the screws out and get the heater in your hane then unplug them. yes the new heater assemly comes with the wiring. let me know when you get it done, thanks Bryan. please unplug refrigerator when replacing this.