Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Maytag washing machine bought in late 1980s. It has

I have a Maytag washing machine bought in late 1980s. It has been in storage for about 15 years, so only used about 6 to 7 years. I now want to sell it. It is in my driveway so I connected a garden hose to test the water and it seems to fill/drain. However, it does not seem to be spinning. Any simple solution? It was in working order the last time used and I don't want to invest a lot into as I am selling it.

what is the model number?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am at work so cannot check. I left a voicemail for my husband to call me when he gets back from an appointment to look at.
Let me know,,,it can possibly be something simple hopefully...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, he just called. The model number is XXXXX
Does it still agitate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I do not know what that means.
You say it fills, and drains, but does not spin, well after filling the agitator inside the machine should go back and forth, does it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

To make sure it is still in working order, I just turned it on a minute to let it partially fill; I then moved the dial so that it was in wash cycle, then the rinse and spin cycle. No matter where I put the dial it would not agitate back and forth the way it normally would with a load of clothes nor spin like it would if finishing up. I don't know if that is because there were no clothes in there, because I did not let it run all the through an entire washing/rinsing/spinning cycle without interruption, or if something become loosened in the move or a part deterioated while the machine was not in use.

If the unit is not filled to where it stops filling with water on it's own it will not agitate...I think your only problem is going to be the belts underneath have deterioted,,,just tip the machine back and check the belts,,,I would replace them anyway from the age... there are 2 belts under there...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a ball park as to what belts run?
Under $20 for both, they come in a set...