Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have a gss20iepjww that keeps blowing defrost heaters. 3

i have a gss20iepjww that keeps blowing defrost heaters. 3 to be exact. I replaced the thermistor, then defrost heater and defrost thermostat, thermistor and motherboard. These fix the problem for about 2 weeks then its back to the same old blown heater. Now ordering a wiring harness complete w/thermistor and defrost therm. Any ideas? The replacement heater is a wr51x10101. Should I leave the jumper in when I install?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

that depends on if your serial # XXXXX the one on the instuctions on the mother board tech sheet that came with it. it will tell you which ones to cut the jumper on. the new heater will be a double heater which g.e. re disignded. for they were burning out. is that what you got the last time you changed it? if you get me the serial # XXXXX'll check the jumper siuation for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, the model and serial are: GSS20IEPJWW DH261848. As I recall I just plugged in the motherboard, didn't jump any wires. I didn't think the instructions called for it on that serial #. But the heaters that gone bad are not blackened, but they are malformed and broken with no continuity. After all these heaters I thought maybe I was just supposed to use both sides of the coil instead of just one. I've been using just one, not re-routing the pink and blue wires. Also I cut into the heaters wiring harness to install new thermistor and defrost thermostat. Is it true that water getting in that harness can blow the board?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes any water in a bare part of the harness can blow the board. as far as the board jumper goes yours is not required to cut the jumper you were right. you have the double heater in there now right? you need to leave the little white wire that goes between the two coils on the left side on and reroute the wires and plug one into each of the remaining connectors on the right side of the heater. one on one coil and the other to the other coil. this should take care of the problem. let me know thanks Bryan