Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

Our Maytag stacking gas dryer Model LSG7806ABE has just had

Customer Question

Our Maytag stacking gas dryer Model: LSG7806ABE has just had its electric motor replaced. When a drying cycle is selected and the start button is pushed, the dryer starts but when the button is released, it stops.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

The replacement of the motor would not necessarily be the cause of this problem. Was the motor replace because this was the symptom?

The symptom above could be the door switch. It should be checked mechanically and electrically. Does it click ok? Does it have continuity when switched on and off. Check this with an ohm meter.

Check the thermal fuse and thermostats next. We replace all if there is a doubt. Sometimes a thermostat will be fail under voltage and not when checked with an ohm meter.

Check all wiring and harnesses (especially to and from the door switch).

Please let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification. I will be checking in later today.

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Bernie,
To answer your questions, the motor was replaced because it would no longer turn the drum. The old one ran without a load but turned off when a light load (the belt) was applied. I elected to replace the motor. The new one runs just fine except that, when I select one of the drying cycles, and press the start button, the motor starts up and runs very smoothly with no strain but only runs if I keep pressing the start button. When I release it, the motor stops. I thought I'd give you these details to help you focus me on the likely problem. Is there somewhere I could find a wiring diagram to help locate the fuese and thermostats. Thansk, John
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to give you more history, Bernie, about a week ago, the motor would not turn. I opened up the dryer and found it was very stiff so I lubricated it and it turned freely. It operated for about a dozen loads but each time we tried to start a cycle, we had to hold the button in just a little bit longer then it just failed to turn under load and the local service technicians decided that a new motor was required. There is no longer any problem with the motor other than the inability to run through a cycle without hold in the start button, which we have not done. I held the button in long enough to see that the sequencing up to and including ignition of the gas took place and then decided that something electrical might overheat with prolonged "trickery". I used to fly airplanes and sometimes we could "trick" system to make them operate by pulling circuit breakers, etc but that's another story bestter enjoyed with a beer in hand!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to give you more history, Bernie, about a week ago, the motor would not turn. I opened up the dryer and found it was very stiff so I lubricated it and it turned freely. It operated for about a dozen loads but each time we tried to start a cycle, we had to hold the button in just a little bit longer then it just failed to turn under load and the local service technicians decided that a new motor was required. There is no longer any problem with the motor other than the inability to run through a cycle without hold in the start button, which we have not done. I held the button in long enough to see that the sequencing up to and including ignition of the gas took place and then decided that something electrical might overheat with prolonged "trickery". I used to fly airplanes and sometimes we could "trick" system to make them operate by pulling circuit breakers, etc but that's another story bestter enjoyed with a beer in hand! By the way, I'm on the West Coast of Canada (BC) so it seems we are three time zones apart

HiCustomer

Yes, you are right not to run the dryer by keeping the button pushed in.

Are you going to be doing the work? If so, we would start with check the door switch because it's fairly easy to do and often does cause this problem.

I'm going to check at home later to see if I can get you specific info for this model. I'm pretty sure I have what you need to troubleshoot this if you are doing the work yourself.

Please let me know. I'll check back later tonight.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bernie,

Yes, I'd like to try to do the work myself. I understand electric circuitry, etc but I don't have a wiring diagram so I'm not sure what to loook for. There is a large bubdle of wires all wrapped in plastic connected to the washer control and the wires connected to the dryer control are visible. I'll check the door switch with an ohmete. It dertainly works OK mechanically. I need to take the front off to make sure I didn't accidetly disconnect a wire farther back in the dryer. Today is a busy one in my life so I won't likely get to it without interruption until tomorrow. Thanks for your help and I look forward to what you will be able to send me after you've had a llok at home.

Hi John,

Do check the door switch to be sure is it has continuity when switched on. It does happen that a wire is disconnected when re-assembling the cabinet.

I didn't find the specific info for your model. However, I got home at 10 pm and had to be up at 5:00 AM (with the change to Day Light Savings Time). So, I didn't have more time to find it.

I will be home tonight at 7 pm and have more time to look. I still think I do have this. I will get back to you with another post tonight. I'm sorry for the delay.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Bernie. I'll check all the wiring to make sure that a ll are properly connected. No worries about the delay in getting the other information to me. Look forward to your next answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, Bernie, I've physically checked the wiring and all the wires seem to be connected. I tried to start the dryer with the door open and it would not start. When I closed the door, it started but would not run after I removed my finger from the satart button. So, unless I am mistaken, it seems like the door switch is functioning OK. I traced the door switch wires through the harness and one ends on one side of a block on the motor that has several wires connected to it and the other, on the other side of the same block. Just keeping you in the picture as we work toward a solution. I couldn't find the location of any fuses butI I know there is at least one ( 1 amp) because when we first bought the appliance, our washer stopped working and the service repair man replaced the fuse but I didn't watch him. He had a second call and replaced the washer lid switch because of the same problem reoccurring. The washer is running fine as I type this - we'll go to the laundromat to dry the clothes until we get the dryer operating again. John

HiCustomer

Thank you for your patience.

Here's the wiring diagram for your dryer -

Below items 26 and 30 are two fuses that need to be checked -

Please update me and let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification. I was looking for the specific service manual for this model and it appears there is none (that I have). I think this model was built for Maytag by another manufacturer.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bernie,

Thanks for this. I've gone over the wiring diagram and checked the thermal fuse 30 and it is OK. I then checked the cycling thermostat 26 and have determined that there is continuity between contacts but don't know what I'm supposed to see and what I am not so I thought I might replace that part and see what happens. I've checked all the related connections and all seem to be fine. I'd welcome any comments and/or suggestions. Thanks again for sticking weith me on this.

Hi John,

Let's look at some basics.

Can you turn the drum by hand when the dryer is fully assembled? If not, you may have something restricting the motor and causing the overload on the motor to turn it off. This could be that the belt is on wrong, the rollers are bad or any number of other things that could jam it up.

Using the wiring diagram you can run continuity checks to follow the circuit. Something is opening the circuit.

Have you check the timer? If the timer contacts fuse (melt), they will short out the circuit. Will the dryer run if you move the timer to a different setting?

Have you already checked the start button itself?

Let me know how these tests work out.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Bernie.

The drum and everything that should, turns easily by hand. The rollers turn freely as well and I have lubricated them. The timer motor ticks when I move it to any of the three cycles and there is no evidence of overheating. There is power to the start button and when pressed, with a cycle selected, starts the dryer with no resistance, it's just that when I release the start button, the cycle stops but the timer motor keeps ticking. I have checked everything I can with a voltage meter and nothing seems to be dead but I am prepared to admit that this problem is likely beyond my pay grade to locate and correct since I do not know exactly what the relationshipship is between various components in the circuitry. I have located all the elements in the wiring diagram you sent me and checked that they are all connected by wire colour and number. I have concluded that my best course of action is to call a repair man. When the dryer was operating normally. before the original motor would not accept a load any longer and I replaced it with a new one, it seems to me that I remember hearing a relay close, or something click, to run the machine after the start switch was pushed. Thanks again very much for all the work you have done to help me with this but I have run out of options trying to solve this problem with your help.
Hi John,

You're welcome. Long distance diagnostics is not always successful and sometimes you just have to be there. I'm guessing that (when the service person gets there) it's going to be something fairly easy.

I'm sorry we didn't get to the answer. Please post back to the question with what the servicer does do to fix it. You have me perplexed and I would like to know.

bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll do that, Bernie and thanks again. It's a matter that the expertise I have is not sufficient to deal with the problem. I have no experience in the appliance repair field.

Hi John,

The general statement that's going around today is.. "It takes 10,000 hours to get good at something"... so that's about 20 hours a week for 10 years!

It sounds like you could land most planes if you needed to figure that out!

bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You're right. I also believe that one should learn the trade and not just the tricks of the trade. Flying is always thought of as a perishable skill. I accumulated 15,000 hours of flying during my career but haven't flown for quite a while.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bernie,

Finally got a repair tech in today. The problem was of my own doing in that I connected the black wire to the yellow connection and the yellow wire to the black connection on the motor. Switched that around, replaced the blower fan and it works like a charm. I don't begrudge the cost since a professional checked it all over and he and I are satisfied; all for $112!

Embarassed

Thanks again for all your help.

John.
Hi John,

That's great news!

Thank you for the update. This definitely was something you've got see to figure out! The $112.00 was worth having someone check everything. You still saved doing the motor replacement yourself.

Take care.

bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Many thanks, Bernie. I looked at all the connections but the error did not register until the technician pointed it out as soon as he removed the cover. Good lesson.

Many thanks again for all your help and encouragement.