william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

I have a Kenmore elite calypso washer. I have a fault code

I have a Kenmore elite calypso washer. I have a fault code of either 5L or SL, not sure hard to read. What is the problem. I have tried the SL troubleshooting from the manual and that does not help. It runs through the cycle but stops at 7 minutes left to go and all the clothes are still very wet.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.
model number please? thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not have the model # XXXXX me. I can tell you int was bought in 2003.
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

check this out

In case anyone else finds this thread from a search engine (like I did) after an FL error on a Kenmore Calypso - I managed to fix the problem. It was a fairly easy repair. The pump assembly that drains the machine is a poorly designed two piece unit with a gear that easily strips out. The good news is that the pump has been redesigned, and can be swapped out in under an hour.

To see if yours has the same problem, tip the washer on its back, pull off the bottom panel, and find the horseshoe shaped piece with two hoses coming out of it. If your Calypso was like mine, it should be really easy to pull that piece off the motor. It's held on by a couple small clips (the new design pump is *not* held together with flimsy little clips). Look at the white piece that fits on to the motor's gear. That little white gear landing was totally stripped on my washing machine.

The pump part number of the pump is(NNN) NNN-NNNN I found a new pump at www.partselect.com. Here's a direct link:
http://www.partselect.com/PartSearchResult.aspx?PartNum=8054954

It's really easy to change the motor and pump out, so give it a shot. It's only $100, which is a lot cheaper than a new washer (and partselect.com is even cheaper than Sears, which wanted $120 for the new pump... and another ~$100 to send someone out to install it!!).

if you are satisfied with my answer please press the green button this is how i get paid for helping you today thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

William

The diagnostic is SL or 5L not FL. Does that make a difference?

Thank You.

Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

Suds Lock S L The motor controller senses a suds lock condition by analyzing the current draw on the drive

motor. If a potential suds lock is detected, the control tries up to 3 times to clean out the unit

with a mini-cycle.

"SL" is displayed if suds are detected but the unit is unable to clean out suds. This may

indicate a bad pump, an extra heavy load, excessive detergent or excessive suds.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display. it still sounds like you have a bad pump