I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances

I have a Samsung RS20CCMS fridge freezer which has developed

I have a Samsung RS20CCMS fridge freezer which has developed a fault. First of all the refrigerator temperature began flashing at 2 degrees, which to be honest I ignored, but since then the temperature of the fridge is 12 to 13 degrees and the Freezer is now -9 (set at -21). I have to use the power freeze facility to keep it at this temperature, nothing that I can do with the fridge side seems to affect the temperature. Any advice please?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 7 years ago.

These features are to warn you that there is a malfunction. Never ignore them. They give you time to make an appointment and get a tech there before it goes.

Check the freezer if the food packages are not blocking the circulation air vents in the rear or somewhere in the freezer. The fridge and freezer share the air and if it's blocked the freezer will get colder and the fridge warmer. if so and you open the air ways so as to free the circulation it may take a few hours to a day to regain the proper temperature in the fridge.
Go out and buy a refrigerater
thermometer and leave it in your fridge always.
they are cheap .
If this does not remedy the problem.

Here are three of the most common problems for this.

Faulty Defrost Timer / Control
Some models use a mechanical timer while others use an adaptive control which is a computer board. Regardless which device is used, the purpose is the same. The defrost control is used to send power to the defrost heaters at the proper time. If power is not reaching the the defrost heater circuity, it is most likely the fault of the defrost timer/control mechanism.

When the defrost timer is in the defrost cycle, the compressor and fans will cease to operate. If the timer fails to advance from the defrost cycle, the machine will not operate. Mechanical style timers can be manually advance both into and out of the defrost cycle.
Faulty Defrost Heater
The defrost heater is located on the evaporator coil (located in the freezer compartment) and is designed to melt the frost from the coils. If there is power getting to the heater and it will not get hot, the defrost heater is most likely faulty. It should have a resistance of 20-50 ohms in most cases.
Faulty Defrost Thermostat
The defrost thermostat is designed to turn the power off to the defrost heater once the coils are clear of frost. It is a temperature actuated switch and once the coils are clear, the thermostat will open and the heater will be turned off. If the thermostat does not reset once it gets below freezing, it is most likely defective