John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Dryer stops a few minutes, when on regular heat, after a few

Dryer stops a few minutes, when on regular heat, after a few minutes. It appears it is overheating. All air ducts are clean. Can this be a malfunction of a high/low heat termostate?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Please send me the make & the model #

How long do you have to wait before you can start it again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Machine is a Maytag Dryer Performa Model PYE2300AZW about 6 years old. Machine stopped in mid-cycle. Replaced Thermal Fuse. Machine stops again shortly after start. Cleaned out all areas where lint may collect, including the inside door cover. No luck, machine stops again. Looks like the safety thermostat shuts off machine because heating elements don't shut down in time. Replace a major portion of the duct. It has only one 45 degree elbow and total lenght is less than 10 feet to the outside. No luck, machine stops after only a few minutes of operation. Is there something that determines how long the heating elements are to be on or could this be something else?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Its the motor that cuts out right

Then when it cools off for a while you can use it again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the motor stops. But I can also feel a real increase of heat in the cover of the machine just above where the heating element is located. Which makes me wonder what comes first the heat getting too high or the motor stopping. Also if I set the machine to "air fluff" (no heat) the machine keeps on running fine but will stop when I use "regular" or "low". Hope this helps
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
So what your saying is. if you run the dryer on air fluff would it run for 1 hr
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I have tried that. The machine will also run, even on regular and low, if I do not attach the exhaust ducts. That is why I dismantled all the ducts, replaced one section, although it was free of lint but to eliminate one 45 degree elbow. In that case I turned the machine around away from the wall and vented straight into the garage.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

How much air flow do you have, is it realy strong, and try it without the lint filter .

And is it a bit noisey

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is some noisy airflow and the amount of air is very strong. However I have not tried it without the lint filter. I will do that now.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

That noisey air flow can be a worn out blower

If Its the blower great then please Accept

If not I will be here to help

The Appliance Doc

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the lint filter, started the machine on regular but again the machine stopped after a few minutes. I also noted that the air in the exhaust duct gets rather hot.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Take the blower housing off and check the blower for lint in the blades its a cage blower some times they get dirty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No luck. The blower is clean and no lont on the blades. All is clean right out to the duct. But my pressing question is: what regulates for how long the heating elements come and and shut off. To me it looks like that the safety thermostat shuts off the machine because the heating element stays on too long. Does that make sense?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The reason the heat shuts off in this situation, is the air flow or a bad hi limit thermostat

Or a bad drum seal, the seal at the back has to be perfect.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I will check the drum seal at the back and replace the hi limit thermostat if you can tell me where I can find the darn thing. Is that the one located on the blower housing and has a yellow, red and blue and red/white wiring? With the blue and yellow wires coming from the heat selector switch?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

No the hi- limit is on the heater housing one lead goes to the element

But the Hi -Limit wont cause the motor to cut out

If you had a amp probe you could check the amp draw of the motor

But the way its acting is a bad motor

If I helped you with the repair

Please Accept I am here to help you

The Appliance Dov

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.