Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Hotpoint VBSR2080 washing machine washes, pumps out, but wont spin. Any Idea

Customer Question

I've opened the front (not to worry, I know what I'm doing) to inspect. All water pumps out quickly. The motor trys to spin the tub but ... no go. The clutch gets very warm very fast, most likely from slipping. Pulled the motor assy and belt, all looks good there. Removed the agitator saw nothing unusual. Tried to spin the transmission by hand, spin easily to cycle the agitator but had much resistance in direction for spin cycle. Don't see any visible debris or such in the tub assy. Is there anything else I can check (Brake assembly, bearing,...) or am I looking at a bad trannie?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model nubker on the back of the machine is vbsr2080w0ww
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sorry , i didnt see you gave us model let me see what i can find out. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'll be here

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok this is your tranmission , Part 279566unfortunatly this comes with the brake and all together. if you cant turn this by and easy you have to replace the whole unit at a cost off around $173.00 , this also come with a new tub seal. click here for details. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-vbsr2080w0ww-%3d%3dc239i279566&PartID=279566 wish i had better news for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Several months ago the clutch assembly split the spot welds on the belt drive pulley. I repaired this and all was well, except that the machine ran a bit more noisy than it used to. Was I seeing the early stages of failure back then or is this machine just turning into a money pit and it's time for a replacemant?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
to be honest these machines are not good machines to start with. If I had to choose between fixing this or buying a new one I'd pick new machine. these can be money pits. and you need special tools (you have to buy) to replace tranmission. I would go out and buy a simple whirlpool (direct drive) top loader with no frills and you will be happy for years to come. when these break there uassauly cheap to repair also. well wishes, and thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the info. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you too and thanks Bryan