Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refr. suddenly stopped working. I noticed food was spoiled.

Customer Question

My refr. suddenly stopped working. I noticed food was spoiled. The freezer works perfectly. I checked the ddor gasket and it seeems to be in good condition. When I tuen the circular switch from off to on position, I do not hear the click sound. I made sure in the back for dust build up. It is pretty clean all around and coils are clean also. If the thermostat is broken, is it possible to replace it myself. I can see the thermostat in the refrigerator, and has coils wrapped around it. It is "magic chef" fridge and is about 9 year old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

if you can get me the model # XXXXX can look that up for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
       The refr. does not cool. Food gets spoiled. Freezer works perfectly. I cleaned the door gasket again, there are no tears.
It is Magic Chef brand. Model # XXXXX
It is an apartment size fridge with freezer on top. 9 year old.
Anoop
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is the fan in the freezer running? if the freezer is working perfectly its going to be eather an air flow problem or a defrost problem. the other possibilatly is the light is staying on in the fresh food section when the door is shut. open the door just a hair and see if you can see the light on. is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Freezer fan is working. Light turns off when door is closed. No frost on the back panel inside the freezer section.
Thanks,
Anoop
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

do you think you could remove the panel inside the freezer in the back? we need to know what your frost pattern is on the coils. also what do you have the settings set at?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I moved some food packages and noticed the freezer control. It is set at 4 on the scale of 1 to 5. (With 5 as the coldest) This was as it was when the refrigerator was purchased. I have never changed this setting.
By the way, I noticed that the back panel is completely covered with frost. I did not check it carefully before.
There are no screws to be able to remove the panel. Incidentally, the knob to move the setting is very rigidand does not move. I am afraid to move it with force. It could break!
Anoop
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you have a defrost problem, you need to take a hair dryer to start with and get all the frost off the panel do you have a plce to move your food? you can unplug this for 24 hours leaving the freezer door open and let it defrost. but this will freeze back up in about a month, let me know when you get the frost off the panel. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
        Thank you very much for your patience and persistence in fixing my problem. I defrosted the fridge overnight until the frost melted in front of vents inside the freezer. Later I turned the fridge on and now the refrigerator works beautifully. Thanks for pointing me in right direction. I will wait until all the food in my fridge and freezer get used up, and then I will turn the machine off for 24 to 48 hours to melt any frost buildup around th coils which are not accessible to me. My hats off to you all for providing this service. It saved me hundreds of dollars in these bad economic times.
Regards,
Anoop Desai
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome . you are going to need to fix this eventually though or it will happen again. maybe some you know can help you get this appart and we can help you through the problem. Its going to be one of three things, a defrost timer, a defrost thermostat. or the defrost heater. I think its probably the defrost thermostat though, this is your thermostat it will be clipped to the top of your coils once you can get the inside back panel off the freezer and runs about $24.00.Part 791286please press accept for it the only way i get paid for helping you. thanks and well wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
            I am back. The frost has again formed on the back panel of freezer section. The fridge is starting to get less cold. It is Magic Chef brand. Model # XXXXX
Can you guide me on how to remove the panel in front of the fan on the back of the freezer. I have the photograph of the inside of the freezer but I can not attach it on this web site. If you can give me your email address I can send it to you right away.   

Thank you,
Anoop Desai XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
they dont allow us to contact you via email. I will be back later today and try to talk you through the rest of repair. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
      I was able to remove 4 screws on the back panel. However the panel does not come off completely. It still is firmly attached to the rest of the assembly, and there are no more screws left to be removed.
The assembly extends down in the fridge section. And I can see a thick
metal circular coil wrapped around a cylindrical piece about half inch in diameter. This coil and cylinder is always accessible in the fridge compartment. I do not need to remove the freezer back panel for that.I was able to use the hairdryer to thaw the frost in the vents.
I have turned on the fridge. I have no neighbor or friend to put away my food. Hope your Speedy appliance business is doing well. I am a 71 year old retiree living off my social security and pension. Looking forward to hear from you. Anoop Desai (Rancho Sta. Margarita, California)
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this what the back panel and inside of the freezer look like? let me know. I'm in and out today so it may take a little while to get back to you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, this is the same drawing I saw on the local part supplier website appliancepartspros.com I removed the four screws on the part 1. Part 2 is connected to the air tunnel (part 1) which extends into the fridge compartment below.
Thanks
Anoop
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok that part # XXXXX should lift up and then out and you should see the fan. do you? let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
    OK, I was able to lift the panel up and out. I can see all the parts inside. I can also see a clip on which the defrost thermostat is hanging. I removed the clip and there are numbers on it. The letters are small and all I can figure out is 6T-789 54F. My eyesight is weak and unless I disconnect the thermostat I can't exactly read the numbers. So how can I disconnect the thermostat? (I was able to melt all the ice formed around the inside)
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your next instructions. Anoop
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you can order the thermostat here for araound $24.00, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-CTN1511BEW-%3d%3dei791286&PartID=791286 if you have it defrosted just leave the thermostat in until you get a new one. it takes about 3-4 weeks to freeze up agian and you will probably get the new one in less than a week, put the rear cover back on until the part comes in it should run fine till you get it. thanks , and please dont forget to press accept so they will pay me for my help. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
       A reputable local part supplier has the thermostat readily available and a bit cheaper. Is it OK if I order it from them?. Also, are there any special instructions needed to disconnect the old defective part and connect the new one?
Thanks, Anoop     
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes you can order it localy if you found it cheaper thats great. these just unplug and snap onto the evaporator coils not hard to install at all. if you need help just come back and ask me. thanks Bryan, P.S. please press accept for its the only way I get paid for helping you. otherwise i get nothing, thanks agian , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Bryan,
I received a new thermostat and installed it. How do I know if it is working right? (short of waiting for a month and not to see any frost forming again)
Thank you, Anoop
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the only way to know is to keep and eye on the frost. unfortunatly. I'm pretty confident though. we replace allot of these. let me know thanks Bryan