Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My GE top load washer will not agitate or spin, its just fills

Customer Question

My GE top load washer will not agitate or spin, its just fills and drains. Its a WJRR4170G1WW. PLEASE HELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello when you say it will only fill and drain does the unit just keep filling and draining at the same time or does it just fill sit there and you manually set it to drain??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will go through the whole washing cycle, filling, the timer moves goes along, then when it is supposed to drain, it drains, then it rinses, then when it gets to the spin cycle, it drains but does not spin out.
Ok great you either have a bad lid switch or the motor is bad. You need to make sure the lid switch has continuity if so you will then need to get a volt meter and on wash test the motor for 110v if the motor is getting power the motor will need to be replaced. Take a putty knife were the top hits the front about 3 in from both corners put it in the front will pop off then you can test the lid switch and the motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok well have a question then, I've had this problem before and GE told me how to reset the washer... something about unplugging it, lifting the lid a few times... etc.. just can't remember how? Any help?
No i have never heard of that method. If the control is frozen you can unplug the machine and it will reset the control but this is not your issue.You need to check the lid switch and the motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so I'm a girl with no clue, I've taken the front panel off before, so what would I have to do next?
You need to get a volt meter the lid switch is on the right you need to make sure with the lid down the switch has continuity. If the lid switch test ok you will need to make sure the motor is getting power if the motor is getting power 110v to the start winding the motor is bad if no power is present the control is bad not sending power.Look closely at the lid switch i have seen the wires break right were they go into the switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok sorry again but how do you test the motor?
You can either test the motor with a volt meter or if you remove the control panel on the left there is tech sheet the motor diagnoses it self if it has a issue the tech sheet has a light code on it look at top of the motor count the times the light blinks the sheet will tell you if the motor is the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok I have the front panel, lid asembly, and control panels are off, I see no flashing lights, and I don't know what the lid switch looks like

The lights are on top of the motor on a control. the lid switch is on the right hand side of the top.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok I found the lid switch, but still need to go and get a volt meter, and I see no light what so ever on the motor

Ok on the motor is there a green control or a metal housing??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is the metal cover with 2 screws on either side
Ok then this model does not have the control the parts break down showed the control sorry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok well I found the tech sheet in the control panel and it has the break down of what the blinking lights mean, wouldn't that mean that it has it?
Yes look under the metal housing on the motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thats were I was looking and there is no light

Ok then you have a generic tech sheet. You need to get a volt meter and test the motor.