The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Hello. I just read a review of an American Range http //w

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

Hi thequinc1;

May I ask what it is that you wish to know about this unit, please?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I purchased a 24" American Range in March 2008. There were numerous delivery issues, which held up the rennovation of my kitchen. Within 2 months, the thermostat died and had to be replaced. Last Friday evening, the oven knob broke and now I cannot turn on the oven. The connection within the knob - where one pushes in and then turns the knob to turn on the oven - is "sheared off." Not sure what the technical lingo is for this. Just know the the knob is broken.

I am sick about the issues I'm having with a range for which I paid a lot of money. In addition to the major issues noted above, the markings for the settings on the other knobs are rubbing off. I can deal with this, but am upset about the seeming lack of quality.

I've sent an email to American Range and will contact them tomorrow. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Ok the problems that you are encountering are warrenty related. If the warrenty has expired your only true financial recourse is through the courts, provided the manufacturer is unwilling to work with you to resolve these issues.

What I suggest is that you contact them as planned and see if they are willing to work with you. If they are, then that is great. If not then you of course may sue them in court, but this is going to cost you more in solicitors fees than it would to replace the unit.

The next logical step would be to have the unit repaired and then go to any consumer complaint sites you can find and place your story with the rest of them. Many times these sites are the gathering place for class action suits. You can also go to sites that sell the unit and post a customer review. The companies do not want this to happen as they loose money each time someone posts a negitive review.

I know that if I read a bad review on a product I am very unlikely to purchase it.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy