The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

We have had problems with our Kitchen Aid dishwasher for the

We have had problems with our Kitchen Aid dishwasher for the past month. It started with the soap dispenser not opening. That was replaced and was still not opening so a new board was installed. After the board was installed the dishwasher would start and then stop. When it stopped the clean light would flash seven times in succession, pause and then repeat. The board was replaced again and the same thing has occured. After starting the cleaning cycle the dishwasher stopped and the clean light blinks seven times and then repeats. We were told we need a new dishwasher. This dishwasher is only three or so years old. Help! Mike Maggio
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model KUDM01TJ
ok thank you looking up your unit now.

Ok here is what you will need to do . You need to run the diagnostics routene on page 36 of the service manual. The page layout iss a bit funny but just go from left to right alternating and you will see how it works easily enough.

I have uploaded the service manual for your retrival.

Please click here for the download.

Please let me know what you come up with after you run the diagnostics.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not been able to download the file. Can you download and email to me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ran the diagnostics. After the diagnostics ran the error light stopped and I was able to start the normal cleaning cycle. The dishwasher started cleaning but then stopped after the first cleaning cycle and the error light is blinking again.

Ok, Mike.

Did the diagnostics pull up any trouble spots?

Does the unit actually complete a full cycle or just to the first drain of the water?

Sorry for the delay replying butr I had to go to work. Im on lunch at the moment. I will be back online after I go do some drywall repair. About 7pm pst.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to the first drain of water.

Ok Mike that sounds like sometthing isnt resetting. I will need some time to look through the manual better. Right now I must return to work. I will do this as soon as I get home tonight.

Best. THS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have you had a chance to review my problem in greater detail?

Ok I looked over the service manual. From what I can surmise the unit will need to be tested at the connection point for the proper "strip" power configuration at the end of the wash cycle.

When you ran the diagnostics did anything at all show as unusual? Ther should be some indication of a problem when you do the tests. The tests are basicly just a shorter version of all the cycles. If there is a problem it should show up in the tests. What you want to look for is something in the fill or end of the drain cycle. Possibly the water level switch that is not closing. Please see drawing below.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The diag runs fine, with no interuption. Does the clean light flashing seven times and then pausing mean anything?

ok according to a post at an appliance blog site the unit only needs to be reset.

Give this a try. 1) Open the door just a bit
2) Within 3 seconds press the following sequence - Hi Temp Scrub, Energy Saver Dry, Hi Temp Scrub, Energy Saver Dry
3) Close and lock the door
4) Press the cancel button.

I usually dont have much faith in these blog sites but anything is worth a try at this point.

Please let me know if it works.

Best, THS

Have a look at this tech sheet

I guess I was looking in the wrong place for this answer.

And more on the subject

The clean LED blinks seven times and the dishwasher
ceases to operate. This condition can also apply to a
dishwasher that has had the electronic control replaced.
A heater fault detection program has been added to the
electronic control to check for temperature rise and shut
down the dishwasher if a temperature rise is not detected.
The cycles have been modified to add 8 minutes 45
seconds of fixed heat at the beginning of the main wash.
The control looks for the temperatures at the thermistor to
increase 4 degrees with cooler (roughly <110° F) inlet water
and 2 degrees when there is hot (roughly >110° F) inlet
water. If the temperature rise is less than the criteria, then
the unit will drain and blink the clean light 7 times. The
detection will be ignored if the temperature is out of its
normal range, 64° - 160° F, or the door is opened during
the fixed heat.
Proper incoming water temperature should be between 120°
- 140° F.
Possible causes of insufficient temperature rise would
include wires off at the control, heating element, thermistor,
inlet valve, door switch, motor or capacitor, failure of any
of the above components or siphoning of the water during
fill.
Once a heater fault is detected and the condition resolved
the electronic control must be reset by initiating a service
diagnostic cycle. NOTE: Using the RAPID ADVANCE
CYCLE will cause the blinking LED condition to reoccur
because there is insufficient time to heat the water.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances