Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a ge cloths washer that is no longer agitating or spinning.

Customer Question

I have a ge cloths washer that is no longer agitating or spinning. The unit is only a couple years old.   It is a top load washer that is belt driven. About a week ago the unit shook badly during the spin cycle and it moved across the basement floor. It seemed like the tube was not centered in the washer. I picked up the tube and recentered it. About a couple days later my wife smelled a burnt belt and the washer no longer would agitate or spin. I looked at the belt and it is in decent shape. the model number is XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 8 years ago.

What were you washing when you got the smell. If there is a large load the belt will slip when it goes into spin. The belt could be screeched out slightly not grabbing the pulley tight enough to spin it. I would replace the belt.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I looked at the belt and it has good tension on the motor assy and the pulley. I do not think it is a belt problem. the tube does not even attemp to spin during the agitate or spin cycles.

Can you turn the tub by hand and also can you turn the big middle pulley by hand?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At first I could not turn the tub by hand. I then took the front cover off and tried to move the big pulley and I thought I heard something pop and the pulley and tub would both spin.
Have you put the belt back on and tried it since you can spin them?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I never took the belt off. Once I hade the cover off I grabbed the driven pulley and moved it and then the tube would spin by hand. The belt has good tension on the motor and pulley
Okay so when you start the washer right now the motor turns the belt but the middle pilley doesnt turn?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. The motor never attempts to move the pulley.
Ok will this fill with water?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It fills with water and drains properly.

You need to check the wires from the timer to the motor. You either have a bad motor or a bad timer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what kind of voltage should the motor have on it. and which wires do i need to check on the motor? What is the proper way to check the timer?
I dont have a wiring diagram but check all the terminals to ground you should have 120 volts to one.