Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

HI! I have an Amana fridge.. Model#ABB1924DEB S/N 10027995GC,

HI!   I have an Amana fridge.. Model#ABB1924DEB S/N 10027995GC, and the upper part (juice / mile shelves) aren't staying cold. It's not in an enclosed area, I've turned the 'cold' up tothe higest poin (7), and turned the freezer down to 4.... but still not as cold as it should be.... Help Please... Susan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Do you notice if there is frost at the back wall of the freezer section?
And if there is air coming out at the vents of the upper shelves?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes there is, and also a little on the'ledge' on on the front (inside the door)
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

You could have a defrost issue.

Either the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat or the controller of the defrost cycle.

The acumulation of frost blocks the movement of the cold air to the fridge section that is why it is a little bit not cold in the top area.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, if that's the problem, then what do I need to do?
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.
You would need to open the back wall and do some testing of the defrost heater and defrost thermostat using a multi tester.

You will need to measure the resistance of the heating element. Measure the resistance of the defrost thermostat while it is still embeded in ice.

I have a schematic of your unit. I could guide you which wire to check.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it easy? what tools do I need? and how would I check the thermostat without some sort of calabration device?
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.
If you are mechanically inclined, it would be easy.

You will need a multi meter or sometimes we called it tester. It can measure resistance and voltage.

Just be carefull when measuring voltages.

You would need a philip screwdriver, multimeter, could be a torx screw driver if that is what your unit uses. An electrical tape, side cutter and long nose pliers in case you would splice some wires.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have a screw driver and plyers... but that's about it... so looks like I need an electrician?

Is there anything I cna do in the mean time so that my food doesn't spoil? Also can I get a copy of this conversation?

Will my credit card be charged since the problem was only diagnosed and not fixed?

Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.
Your credit card is charged but it is only a deposit. You can refund it if you want. I am not sure how you can copy the conversation. But I am sure it would be stored to your questions so if you want to see it, just log on to just answer and it will be shown.

Regarding your question, It was diagnosed and answered but it would be in your side that you were not able to fix it. And if you feel that I was able to help in any way, then please hit accept for us to get paid. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could you send me the schmatics? Or tell me which wires need to be worked on so that I cna tell the electrician?
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Here is the schematic.

He would need to check the Defrost terminator on the upper right corner of the schematics. brown and orange should have a close contact while the defrost terminator is frozen. ( you have to be quick before it thaws) and the defrost heater should have a resistance.( Black and black) Approximately less than 100 ohms.