Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

OK, the evaporator fan just came in, (had to be ordered), installed

Customer Question

OK, the evaporator fan just came in, (had to be ordered), installed it and it doesn't work. So what's next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
sounds like someone gave you some bad advice, can I get your model number of your refrigerator and what the problem is so I can hopefully assist you better?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Samsung 2545, freezer not working right, tech on this site troubleshooted the evap fan motor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
hmm ok and the fan is not running then I'm assuming?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope. I was trying to get ahold of the original guy I spoke with, as I already paid him and ordered a fan motor that I obviously don't need, and will probably wind up calling an appliance co. tomorrow.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok are the silver coils below the fan getting a thin coat of white frost on them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok that deffinately means that your refrigerator is trying to cool so:

Either the light switch is bad or your control board is bad.

Shut the door and peel back the door seal and see if the light turns off. If it does then great that means your door switch is working. I don't know if the last guy told you but basically the fan will not turn on unless the door is shut. So shut the door for about 30 seconds and open it quickly to see if the fan is spinning down.

If the lights turn off and the fan is still not running then your problem is going to be the control board. If this is the case I wouldn't worry about the technician diagnosing your fan wrong because he was probably correct. In some cases when a fan shorts out it shorts out the control board as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, if I just push in the light switch, the fan should come on? Give me a few min. to try that.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok good luck
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fan works, THANKS
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem glad I could help!