Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Hi, I have read the different SRD526SW side by side that stopped

Hi, I have read the different SRD526SW side by side that stopped cooling on the fridge side. The coils on the freezer side froze up so we shut the fridge down opened the doors and defrosted it for 24hrs. When it was started back up things looked hopeful, but then the coils froze again and there was no cool air in the fridge. The compressor, and fans seem to be working properly. I have turned the little button on the defrost button and nothing happens, ie the compressor continues to run I cannot visually see the defrost element is heating up. To make it more difficult I live in Europe and parts are very expensive..ie $75 for the thermost etc. so don't mind changing the parts but don't want to go crazy. Many thanks for your thoughts.
How long has this been happening for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It stopped about a week ago. I have defrosted it a few times and tried to start it again. It seems to run normal for about 4 hours than frosts up. It happened last summer once but we defrosted the fridge and it started back up fine after fully cleaning the coils etc and there was no more problems. Don't know if this had any impact on the problem now.

Thanks

Did you say you turned the defrost timer and it did not stop running? how far did you turn it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Chas,

I turned it one click....it went around 1 or two turns then clicked.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

A bit more info. yes I did turn it one click but the compressor never stopped.

You need to turn it until you hear the compressor stop running this will be sometimes almost a complete turn....see if it shuts off anywhere while turn it,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes it finally did after about 4 clicks. I believe that if the defrost heater is working the compressor should come back on in 30 min approx. is that correct?

It is now about 28 min later and the compressor has started back up. However, the fan in the fridge is not turning now...it has been all day. Also the coil is icing up significantly.

I'm off to bed its 6 hours ahead of the post time so I have had it for the day. I appreciate you guidance. Thanks very much.

This is going fan motor gone bad, this is part number 10513804 , this can explain just about all your problems with the unit not cooling properly...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Chas has been extremely helpful and patient due to the time difference. The part is on order and will take a couple of weeks before it gets here. Many thanks for your support!