Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

Kenmore Elite Top Load Washer (bought in 2004-ish) will fill,

Kenmore Elite Top Load Washer (bought in 2004-ish) will fill, but not aggitate. Will spin and drain if I tell it to. Is this a do it yourself repair or something major? What parts do I need? How much is this going to cost me in either cast (DIY or service tech). What else do I need to tell you to get to the answers. Serial number on back is(NNN) NNN-NNNNif it matters - I can't find any other numbers on the machine.
does it make noise during agitate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes - there's an electrical buzzing noise. If I let it go long enought it throws the breaker.

This is a locked gear inside the gearcase, this is going to require the replacement of it , this part is about $170.00 and the labor for the installation will be about $160.00, this can be done by you if you are extremely handy at this....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A locked gear? is this common? could it be anything else?
If it didn't spin or drain, then yes, however this is the most likely problem with it...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it will fill. it buzzes and shuts off. I manually set it to spin and it does spin and it does drain.

yes I know that, If it wouldn't do that then it could be something else. there is a jammed or broken gear in the gearcase casing it to lock up in agitate. this is why the gearcase needs to be replaced..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help last night.

Your welcome, please come and see me again if you need help with any of your appliances...