Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

My Maytag ice maker stopped dispensing ice cubes. How can it

My Maytag ice maker stopped dispensing ice cubes. How can it be fixed?
does it dispence crushed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
may i have the model number please ,,, is the icemaker still making ice but will not dispence
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it does make ice. I suspect the auger does not turn.
Maytag Model # XXXXX
take the ice bucket out and with door open hold in on the light switch and push the ice lever and tell me if the coupling on the auger motor turns
my internet is acting up bad tonight so after you check what i said and it does not turn the you need to replace the auger motor ,, part number is XXXXX and you can get it at a local parts house or online at ,,,

if it does turn the dump all the ice from the bucket and wash out with hot water and allow to dry and let it make and dump ice into the bucket and try it ,,, the bucket is froze up with ice in the head of the ice dispenser.

i'll be back online tomarrow if you need me / larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it froze up alright and broke the plastic panel (ice enclosure in parts list, P/N 61005614) where the auger motor mounts to. I looked up the part at the Sears parts site. It costs $ 64.80 and looks like it may not be too difficult to change.
It would probably cost a million dollars for a Sears Technician to change it. The last time I had Sears come out they charged $ 225 to clean the drain line from the freezer. I may shop more on line for the part, but I suppose the Sears price is not too bad.
sears are a high priced service but you can replace the part yourself but if you dont want to any servive company can do it for you for a lot less than sears ,,, take it from a retired sears tech hahaha
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do it myself. I found the part at for $ 43.95 on this website.
your welcome and if you need me i will be back on wednesday / larry