Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

My refrigerator is making a ticking sound and it is not cooling.

My refrigerator is making a ticking sound and it is not cooling. The sound is coming from the computer. What can I do?
the computer or compressor ,, is the sound coming from the back behind the lower panel? ,,,, Larry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, i took off the lower panel in the back and it is clicking/ticking.
how old is the fridge and may i have the model number please
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the fridge is 3 years old. model number is XXXXX 20KCSBS
the problem your having is the compressor and its part of the sealed system and a fridge has a 5 year sealed system warranty ,,, you need to call and set up a service call with a warranty company ,,, someone like sears if in your area ,,,, the sealed system repait will not cost for parts or labor ,,,,, hope i helped and please hit the accept button for me and feel free to contact me at any time / larry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I called Sears.. they only honor a warranty if I bought it from them. They are telling me a compressor will cost us about 300 -400 dollars. We don't have that kind of money. Who can i call that will honer the warranty. We bought it at Home Depot... but I understand they don't do home repairs.
what brand fo fridge is this and i will see what i can find out for you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a GE fridge w/ the freezeron the bottom.
i dont know why sears would tell you that ,,,, i'm a retired sears cfc tech and i have changed out compressors on ge under warranty many times ,,, did you call 1-800-4MY-HOME ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes.... I called that number. They said that they only honor warranties if the item was purchased from them.
i dont understand that ,,,, call ge service

http:// www.ask.com/bar?q=ge+service&page=1&qsrc=178&zoom=%3CKW%3EGE%3C%2FKW%3E+Appliance+Repair|%3CKW%3EGE%3C%2FKW%3E+Replacement+Parts+Appliances|General+Electric+Company+History&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geappliances.com%2Fservice_and_support%2F
GE-CARES(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>