I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances

I have an amana side by side that is ten yrs old. It stoped

I have an amana side by side that is ten yrs old. It stoped freezing 2-3 (?) days be found out any thing was wrong. Today I replaced the defrost timer and the limit switch on the condencer in the freezer. Don't work, I was told to unplug the rifg. for about 30-45 min. Don't work, when I turn the timer away from the defrost setting, the cond. fan comes on but thc compressor will only hum for a few sec. and then go off for about a min. then repete again. when the compressor hums the freezer light will dim until it kicks off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
HiYa,

Unfortunetly you spent money randomly changing out parts.
I believe from what you are telling me that the compressor is bad And too expensive for the investment.
I would stop, and not waste any more money on this fridge of ten years.

Here is an interesting report I just read!

Repair or replace?

When to pull the plug on your old refrigerator

It nearly always makes sense to undertake simple do-it-yourself repairs,
such as replacing a gasket on a refrigerator or a
freezer.

Typically, you'll also find a troubleshooting section for more-serious problems
in the owner's manual.

Should you pay for a repair or buy a new model?
The answer depends mostly on the age of your refrigerator,
how much you bought it for,and the cost of the repair.

Follow these guidelines:

When a repair makes sense.

If your refrigerator is under warranty or less than four years old (three years for top-freezers),
paying for a repair makes sense.
Note that refrigerators under warranty might require service from a factory-authorized technician;
readers have found them on a par with independent repairers.

When a repair might be a wise choice.

If your refrigerator is out of warranty and is four to seven years old,
it might make sense to pay for a repair. Customers generally pay $100 to $200 for a repair.
But you might want to buy a new model even at this stage,
given that today's models are quieter and have added features.
Higher energy efficiency is another plus: Energy Star-qualified models made after April 28, 2008,
are 43 percent more efficient than conventional models built before 2001 and 56 percent
more efficient than those built before 1993.

When it pays to replace.

The repair costs more than half the price of a comparable new refrigerator.
Data also shows that it doesn't pay to fix a less-expensive top-freezer refrigerator
six or more years old or a bottom-freezer or side-by-side eight or more years old.

Thanks to better recycling programs, less than 10 percent
of a refrigerator you replace is likely to end up in a landfill.

I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you think that possobly the starter compositor could be falty?
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
It sounds to me like there just may be a chance it is faulty.

But you sure can spend a lot of money on swapping parts without a hands on tech on location with every day experience to diagnose it.
You have to make a decision if you are willing to continue to invest money into this problem blindly or is it worth it to get a 2nd opinion.

I see many times that my customers spend the money they want to save on a service call

on parts and never find the solution until they call me to their home and end up coting themselves more.
I do appliances.
And I learned too late in life that when I have some thing in my home that i'm not sure about I do not do it myself unless I'm ready to throw money into it.
And i'm frugal so after 50 years of do it myself in other fields , calculated the money I wasted and now I call a plumber or roofer.

My fridge is more than 10 years old and I plan on a new one if it goes any time in the future.
I will not fix it even though I can.
Its costing me more electricity than the newer energy star refrigerators that pay for them selves in a few years.
I.can, Home Appliance Technician