Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

Top Loader Maytag, filled with water and just sits no wash

Top Loader Maytag, filled with water and just sits no wash or spin. Drain water and water came on briefly, but will not come on at all now. Did the water level test and tests good.What do you think is the problem?
What is the complete model number please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Maytag LAT8214AAE
This seems to be a problem with the lid switch. you will need to open up the control panel and check this item, I have seen this as there is a fuse that will control all of the functions that you are explaining as not working...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did check the fuse already. It is good. I also tested the water level switch.
The lid can be up or down and the water will normally still flow to fill the tub.
when we first used a wet vac to suck out about half the water it began to flow in again but then stopped. We were unable to get it to refill again.
If the lid switch checks out good for you and it won't spin, then the timer is going to be the problem on this washing machine...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so if i short the lid switch it should start to fill and work unless the timer switch is bad?
Why is it not filling with water?
Is that regulated by the timer switch also?

If you noticed this has what I call a funky lid switch with 2 switches and a fuse. I believe if the it would be easier to remove the switch and press each button seperately and see if it activates the water at least, otherwise I would replace the timer on the unit...Also make sure that the outlet that you are plugged into is good also,,,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The power is good, is the fuse in the switch? and there are two buttons on the lid switch? How do you get to the lid switch?
I have the schematic to all the circuits.

I would just remove the assembly with both switches attached and then press each on seperately. I do not have the wiring diagram to this model to tell you exactly, one control the spin and fill and the other just the fill and agitate...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
after I accept can you answer another question?

I can not try this until tomorrow aroung 1:00pm PST. (Sunday)

My phone cannot receive what ever format they are sending it just says unreadable.

thanks again
Yes no problem, I should be here tomorrow also...