Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

Our Whirlpool Ultimate Care II wont agitate. It just stops

Our Whirlpool Ultimate Care II won't agitate. It just stops & starts as it revolves clockwise, so the clothes don't really get very mixed up. Model # XXXXX XXXXX and is probably well over 10 yrs. old. We have also experienced exsessive noise and tearing of clothes with this machine over the last couple of years. Question: Does it sound like we had better start shopping or can it be fixed for less than half the cost of a new one?
How does it spin?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My wife says it "spins" just fine. That is, the drum spins and extracts the water just as it always did.

We are now in the midst of a big discussion about how the agitator does or does not work. She says the base of the agitator does agitate but that the column above it (where the softener dispenser is) does not agitate. In fact it just free wheels while the bottom agitates. As a result the clothes don't revolve in the drum like they should.

This the repair kit you need to repair the aggitater the part# XXXXX XXXXX If you go to you can order it there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I trust your advice more than a no-pay internet source who says the part # XXXXX '80040' for a set of 'agitator dogs', probably about $20". Still, I'd appreciate your comments about whether we're talking about the same solution here?

I believe we are. The top of the agitater does not function.That is what makes the top work.If you put that kit in you will have the problem solved.