John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE Oven,Model # XXXXX Broiler comes on fine

Customer Question

I have a GE Oven,Model # XXXXX Broiler comes on fine but the oven won't heat up past warm?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 7 years ago.
Hello bullwinkle, my name isXXXXX you see if the lower bake element works? Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bob , It only gets warm.,not hot or glowing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bob, Bottom heating unit only gets warm.
Bullwinkle, you are going to have to cut the power to the stove and remove the screws that hold the bake element in place. Slide the element forward until you can see the connectors. You need to check the voltage to the element. Don't check it by going from each side to ground or neutral, you will need to know what it is across the contacts of the element. If you have the correct voltage there then the element will need to be changed. If you don't have the correct voltage there, then you are going to need to find where you are loosing it. Let me know what you find. Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bob, Bottom heating unit only gets warm. Could the control knob/switch be bad?

Thanks for the information.

It could be in order not to just change parts my information above will help to eliminate possible problems and will help to narrow down the what is causing this situation. Some of the controls, such as the thermostat can be a bit spendy. Another thing is by following the steps above you eliminate the possibility of it just being a bad connection. Sometimes a slightly loose connection and slowly create resistance which just multiplies the resistance until the heat buildup at the connection causes it to burn loose. I recommend following the instructions above. Bob