Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Fruit Flies in the Refrigerator and Freezer

Customer Question

I am getting fruit flies in my refrigerator and freezer. It has been cleaned thoroughly and I cannot find how they are getting in. I have also cleaned the tray in the very bottom of the unit. What else can I do to eradicate these pests?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me make and model #? Is this plugged in and freezing OK? Let me know. Thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

Yes it is plugged in and the freezer works well. The make is a Roper, model # RT18DKXFW00 .

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

OK. Have you checked your door gaskets real good? There also may be a problem in the drain system for the defrost. There is a tube that runs to a pan underneath the refrigerator that may have a piece of fruit or food stuck in it. This may be where the flies are coming from and getting into the refrigerator. This is a strange problem. Sometimes, the food can get behind the rear panel in the freezer and rot to cause this. Was this refrigerator unplugged and in storage for any amount of time? Let me know.

Thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

The fridge was never unplugged. I am shutting it down now because I believe the source has to be from the tube that drains into the pan. I would like to flush that tube with a bleach solution but I can't figure out the best way to do that. If I drop some bleach solution in the freezer will it drain to the pan without doing other damage? I think if I can kill whatever is attracting them, the eggs will stop hatching and the problem will be solved. What do you think about this approach?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

If you take the panel off the inside back of the freezer section, you will see a drain hole under the coils in the middle. Pour some bleach down the hole and it should go to the pan in the bottom of refrigerator. If that is the source, this should kill them I hope. Let me know.

Thanks Bryan.

P.S. Let the refrigerator air out for a while before using .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

I have done that. Interestingly, to get to the coil, you have to remove the freezer pan. When I did that I noticed some dried organic material under the pan and cleaned it out. That may have contributed to the problem. Although I informed you earlier that the fridge had not been unplugged, it occured to me that we were without power during Hurricane Ike last September, so there's the possibility that some food melted in the freezer at that time and got under the pan.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

I'll bet thats when you got the problem. It is rare to see them live in such cold conditions in the freezer though. Well let me know if that takes care of the problem. Thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

It appears that the problem is solved.