Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

AMANA Refrigerator SSD22NW. Upper warm and lower freezing.

Customer Question

AMANA Refrigerator SSD22NW. Upper warm and lower freezing. What's wrong ? And water dispenser not working. This all happen at the same time.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

you may have several problems with this, can you tell me if you see frost on the back panel inside the freezer? move your food and look real good. also do you hear thye fan running in the freezer? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for yur prompt response.

To answer your question, I do not see frost at the back panel inside the freezer. The refrigerator is humming but I do not hear the "fan " noise that I am used to.

Here is when I noticed things gone wrong: no water from dispenser in the morning and freezer top food is thawing.

Here is what I did after that. I took out all the half-frozen food in the freezer. I cleaned all dirt ( a lot ) from the bottom of the refrigerator. And I put 2 bottle of waters in freezer last night as I noticed the refrigerator is not totally dead. This morning, top one is a little cold and bottom one is frozed. There must be a circulation problem and/or ?.

Appreciate your quick response.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes you probalbly have a bad evaporator fan. its behind the panel in the freezer section take the screws ouy of panel and check the fan. you may need to remove ice maker to get at this if you have one. sorry about long delay in reply. had to go get meds. downtown, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do you know it's not thermostat ?

Should I check thermostat first before changing the fan assembly ? Any suggestion to check it ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you hear the compressor running ? is this a side by side or up and down acording to your model its a side by side. also when you say uppers warm and lower is freezing are you talking about all in the fresh food section or are you saying the freezer is fine and refrigerator section isnt cooling right. ? I'm sorry about taking awhile to answer all your questions I've had a severe ear infention and they had me on heavy medicine and it made ne a little fuzzy. let me know i'm much better now, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is a side by side, Amana SSD22NW. Both side of the freezer and refrigerator sections have warm top and cold bottom. I did find little ice build up at lower in freezer. No freezer fan noise. I assume this is evap fan not working. ( The back of the refrigerator is working fine with fan running.) But it does not mean it's bad.

I ran through some web articles, they all suggest thermostat the most. Should I check thermo first ? And how ?

Sorry about your ear infection. Hope you get better.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm getting better thanks. ok can you do me a favor and remove all the food from the freezer? then take the back panel off. we need to see if there is ice stopping the fan or if its not getting power.do you have a volt meter? let me know and lets get something done for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

panel done ! volt meter ready.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok is there a even amount of frost maybe 1/16 of an inch on all the coils? next if you spin the fan by hand does it start? if not put volt meter on the wires going to it you should be getting 110. volts to this. make sure refrigerator is running at this time. when the compressor is running the fan should be. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was no ice stuck on fan blade but quite a bit amount of frost accumulation on the orange wires around the thermostat and all the pipes to the evaprator. I took out the frost and spun the fan and it's seems like free spinning. Then I connected the power and went to seek volt meter. The fan is running right now and I measured 110 Volt. What's going on ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I think your fan is going bad . either that or your defrost thermostat is bad. that what sends power to the fan let it run a bit and let me know if it stops again .if it stops check for pwer then if your still getting 110.volts your fan is Bad. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The fan stoped for a while and the compressor stops. The evaporator bottom tube is now running hot and steaming. I do not get 110 Volt at the motor at this time ; I think it is because the refrigerator is running 'defrost ' cycle ? How long do I have to wait to double check again ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yeah its in defrost. this takes about 45 minutes ussually, this means your defrost thermostat is good. wait and see if all the coils get frosted again after defrost is finnished, if the fan comes back on and stays on when compressor is running then maybe the fan just got stuck for some reason amnd will be alright, after put the panel back on and set the controls at half way on both and see if it runs ok. let me know then. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in the process of putting back panel back. And noticed that water keep dripping under the freezer door gasket. (I had the water intake shut off before I try to fix the refrigerator already.) Is it normal ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes there is sometimes ice inside the door from moisture, this will go away. is the fan running now?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. I think the main reason is that the thermostat is frozen due to too much moisture coming from the opening of freezer door. I have found recently sometimes the freezer door not fully closed. Is this a good theory to explain ?

Thank you. God bless you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes it is. thanks you for your accept and if you have more questions just come back and ask me. well wishes , Bryan, p.s. you may need to change these , these are the door closers. Part 1035they run about $5.00 and you can get them here, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-SSD22NW-%3d%3di1035&PartID=1035 thank you Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Friday PM, the refrigerator was running. I thought it was fixed. I made sure the doors are sealed ok. By Sunday, the same thing happened. No water out and no fan noise in freezer. I checked voltage to the fan motor , no electricity. So I removed the ice on thermostat. And no electricity to the fan then. And while I am scraching my head, removed the thermostat from the coil tube , and with finger still playing around the thermostat , the fan kicked on then right in front of me. So any advice ? Do I have a fan problem or a thermostat problem ? Would too much ice on thermostat keeps it from working ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
replace the thermostat. Part 223389these run the fan when the coils get cold enough it sends the power to the fan this is about $33.00 and should take care of your problem for good. when you say no water out do you mean through the door? thats a whole different issue. change the thermostat for sure though. thanks Bryan