rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
15347769

How can I unstick a trash compactor that is stuck closed

How can I unstick a trash compactor that is stuck closed?
Hi
Be glad to help.Can you give me a make and model# XXXXX i can better help.Generic info would be remove the back to access the gearbox and turn the larg gear to raise the ram
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Rob, its a Whirlpool that is at least 10 years old and when we pullled it out, it has no gears in the back just a motor at the bottom in the back and we cannnot see any gears, just the masher stuck in the down position.
Ok on the top looking down you see two long screws facing up.Reme the caps on the top of the screws and remove the plastic drives.You should be able to turn the shaft on the motor to raise the ram. a model number would help if possible.
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Don't see screws with caps Could model be B-PUR-R-GR?
if you flip this over and look there will be screws to take off the very bottom pan. this should be where the gear sprockets and chain are. you have to wind it back by hand make sure this is unplugged before attempting proabably you have a bad reverse switch.or the thing is jammed before reaching it. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX had to call a repairman anyway and had a busted gear. Thanks for all your help.
no problem I see these gears break aloot, you did the right thing calling repair man because somrtimes you need to realign the gears and rods. thanks Bryan