Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Kenmore natural gas clothes dryer - no flame. What should

Customer Question

My Kenmore natural gas clothes dryer - no flame. What should I look at and do? Blowing good - no obstructions. Replace hot surface igniter? Or something else? Model 110.70932990 bought new 1999.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok let me look up your model. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , can you open the bottom panel and start machine? let me if you see the igniter glows.? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hang on a few seconds while I do that to see if the ignitor gows. Give me a minute or two.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pushed the start button. The drum is turning, blower blowing, but no glow.

Just waiting and resending to make sure you got this.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you probably need an igniter.this is a typical gas burner assembly.if you unplug the igniter and put a meter on the plug and run dryer you should get 120 volts if you do change the igniter. this is the igniter, its around $30.00 if you dont get 120 volts then get back to me and we will check other things.thanks Bryan.Part 3415Gas Dryer Guts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
While waiting for your response, I searched the library of answered questions and also saw reference to checking the thermal fuse and checking for a component failure in the gas valve assembly. They also went into other possibilities: bad motor switch, failed timer contact, bad operatiing thermostat or high limit thermostat. Lots of possibilities. Do you still recommend going with the ignitor?
Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you have a volt meter? sorry my internet went off for a few minutes. let me know thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
are you getting my messages? let me know please. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I was away for a little while. I do have a volt meter. I can check resistance or voltage on a few things to identify the problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, i was offline for a few minutes having computer problems. first thing to do is unplug the igniter and put a probe in each of the hole that come from the machine to the igniter then run the dryer and you should get 110-120 volts, if you do you need to replace the igniter . if not we will take the next step. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I will do it tomorrow morning and let you know what happened.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok let me know. its rarely the motor switch on these also if it was the thermal fuse the dryer wouldnt start at all. it could be the high limit thermostat if your not getting 120 volts to igniter and it could also be the flame sensor for the same reason. do you hear this click kinda loud when you push the button. let me know tomorrow. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unplugged the ignitor and started the dryer - there was no 120 volts power coming at the leads coming into the ignitor - zero. I started it a few times listening for the loud click. I heard a click, but I wouldn't call it loud.

What else do you suggest I try next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok on the picture i sent you unplug the wires from the radiant sensor shown in picture, check for continuity , if no continuity this is bad. get back to me as soon as you know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I unplugged the wires from the radiant sensor, tested for continuity through the sensor and did find that there IS continuity through the sensor.

What next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok, this is next.Part 2926this should be on top of the burner tube. check the same way.let me know. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I removed the wires and checked for continuity through that sensor on top of the tube and I DID get continuity.

What next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok this is going to be up in the control panel.Part 528722this is the relay for the heater. there will be to large wires and two small wire going to this check for 120 volts with the dryer running . . on the large wires. you may need to unplug one wire at a time there will be 120 volts going into one side of this relay find out which ones the feed and which one goes down to the initer system, unplug that one then test the spade on the relay and see if your getting power through the relay. with the dryer running . be careful live wires as you know. if your not getting power through then the relay is bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll check it and get back to you ASAP. Thanks. I hope this is it. Stay tuned.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
me too. there are allot of parts in this machine that can cause this and we need to check them one at a time . sorry. i need to go do some jobs and wont be back until later if this is bad replace it and you should be all set if not do the test on all the thermostats the same as the way you did it on the high limit they should all have continuity. I'll be back around 5pm est if you dont find something by then I 'll tell you whats next. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm back if you need me. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thanks for accepting. did you find the problem? well wishes and I'll be here if you still need help.Bryan