Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE top load washer. Agitator will not work or drain

Customer Question

I have a GE top load washer. Agitator will not work or drain all of water. This model is about 5 yrs old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

more than likely you need the agitator drive bell. can you get me model #? , also do you hear the motor running when it trys to agitate?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Modle # XXXXX XXXXX Yes the motor does run. Washer spin but agitator will not run. Water does drain but can hear some left in the bottom of washer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , this is the agitator drive bell. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these strip easy, its under the agiatator, pull your agitator off and there will be a bolt holding this on the tranmission shaft. cahnge this and you should be all set. heres were you can get it. , its about $9.00 , well wishes, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see the agitator drive bell but it will not pop of after takeing the bolt off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sometimes these are hard to get off. you have to keep pulling on it . be careful if you pry this not to crack the tub. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan, Thanks for all your help. Finally pulled off the drive bell. Will let you know how it turns out. David

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you can test the transmision now by putting this on a small load and let it agitate , if the transmision shaft turns you know for sure its the drive bell. thanks Bryan