Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have clothing stuck under the agitator in my clothes washer.

I have clothing stuck under the agitator in my clothes washer. It's top loading and part of a White Westinghouse Spacemates III stacked washer/dryer set.   The model number is XXXXX Any ideas on how I can get the agitator off? I'll appreciate any information!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
there should be a cap at the very top of the agitator you can pop off and then theres a bolt under that , let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry - this prbly has an obvious answer, but what tool do I use to take the bolt off? The top of it appears to be flush with the top of that part of the agitator, and there isn't much room around it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
heres some pictures that may help, Part 626684
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I'm still having trouble removing the bolt - any clues on this?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
have you gotten to the bolt? you can see it? does it not move with a rachet and socket? let me know. you sometimes have to hold the agitator to get the bolt to move otherwise the whole thing can turn. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can see the bolt. I don't have a ratchet and socket - maybe that's what I need to try. A regular wrench doesn't fit around it - it's a very tight fit, so I tried some needle nose pliers, no dice. I'm thinking maybe I'm just not strong enough.