Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an electric Kenmore stove/oven, model #911.94492990.

Customer Question

I have an electric Kenmore stove/oven, model #911.94492990. The stove is working fine, but the oven is clearly not functioning properly. It does not heat up quickly, nor does it get above about 350 degrees (I'm guessing) when turned all the way up. As near as I can tell the bottom element is not coming on at all and the top one does not heat up like it should. Even when I crank it up it doesn't turn red.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you have a volt meter? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, sorry, Bryan. I can buy one though if I have to.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well , lets see what we can do without one .unplug the oven and feel all they way around the bottom bake element and see if its burned anywhere. also you can remove the back panel and check for a burned wire going to the element. be careful make sure you unplug this first! let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Interesting. The bottom bake element does have a 3 inch section toward that back that looks pretty funky. At first I thought something had dripped on it, but I don't think that's it. It looks like some of the sheathing has come off and bubbled up. I haven't pulled the unit out and looked behind it yet. Should I go ahead and do that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds like the element is bad . thats what happens when these go. if you had a volt meter we would know for sure but I believe this is it. these burn from the inside out so the wire inside is burned up and thats the hot spot where it burned up. you can remove this by taking out the two screws holding it in and pulling it towards you. sometimes they get hung up just take your timre and it will come out. take it to an appliance parts store and they can test it for you. hope this helps Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, I'm frustrated by the fact that the system required that I pay before the problem was solved. Nonetheless, I didn't want you to get stiffed, so I went ahead and paid. I can replace the bottom element, but let me ask you about one more possible problem: I pulled the panel off the back and found that the insulation around the wiring for the upper element is blackened. Could that be an indication that something is wrong with the upper element?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no thats just from the heat getting through I see that allot. does the broil work? and I'm sorry about having to pay before you get your answer but the good news is even after you press accept you can still come back and ask me more questions as long as you don't close the question. I haven't got paid yet you need to press the accept button before I get paid if you don't I wont but they still will. this happens sometimes people forget to press accept and i don't get paid for my work. I'll be around tomorrow afternoon or very early in the morning around 5am. if you have more questions, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Bryan. That explains it. I think we've solved it. I took out the lower element. With a little closer look it looks like it experienced a nuclear meltdown. I'll close out the discussion and hit the green button. Thanks for your help. Really. This was great.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome, glad to see you got it fixed. thanks and well wishes, Bryan